D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Yaarel

He Mage
I don't see no Hex?

Hex locates as a 1st-level ‘Eldritch Knight’ spell because it benefits from ‘attacks’ to hit, thus synergizing with weapon attacks.

It can also synergize with cantrip attacks. Let me know if you feel it should move out to the ‘Wizard’ spell list.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I still don't see it, only Hunter's Mark.
Asides from tracking, Hex is strictly superior. You can debuff a stat's checks, and it works on any attack, not just weapons.

For ranged casters it varies. Warlocks obviously love it. Anyone with Scorching Ray thinks it's great, but those are the only multi-attack spells I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Magic Missile depending on whether you class it saying they hit as counting as a hit.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Eldritch KnightVery Close Range, Weapon Attacks
lower level
Color Spray
less useful
Arms of Hadar ph
Divine Favor
not bad
Compelled Duel ph
Inflict Wounds
Burning Hands
Searing Smite ph
good
Hail of Thorns ph
Wrathful Smite ph
Thunderous Smite ph
excellent
Hex ph
Ensaring Strike ph
Thunderwave
Hunter's Mark

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Weird, this is what I see:
Eldritch Knight − Very Close Range, Weapon Attacks
−lower level
Color Spray
−less useful
Divine Favor
−not bad
Inflict Wounds
Burning Hands
−good
−excellent
Thunderwave
Hunter's Mark

Also isn't lower better? Hex outranks Hunters Mark in almost every way.

Yaarel

He Mage
@Yunru

Note, there are two lists. The list inside the spoiler block only lists the spells that are in the SRD. These spells are part of the Open Gaming License that designers can access for their products.

Outside the spoiler block with SRD spells, below it, the rest of the post lists All Official Spells, that are in the WotC products. Hex is absent from the SRD, and is only in the list of official spells.

Regarding Hex, you are right that it is slightly more useful than Hunters Mark. So it is now moving ‘lower’ to ‘below’ Hunters Mark.

mellored

Legend
Hex locates as a 1st-level ‘Eldritch Knight’ spell because it benefits from ‘attacks’ to hit, thus synergizing with weapon attacks.

It can also synergize with cantrip attacks. Let me know if you feel it should move out to the ‘Wizard’ spell list.
Scorching ray really likes hex as well.

But still, I agree it should be for the EK.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Chromatic Orb is highly underrated. In the specific case of the Wild Mage Sorcerer, they can get a lot of use out of it due to their ability to use Tides of Chaos to give themselves Advantage on the attack roll. And any caster with an Owl familiar can give themselves advantage on the roll (up until someone takes out the familiar).

But even without that, 3d8 damage (+1d8 per spell slot level) of an element type of your choice is huge for a 1st level spell slot. Especially at higher levels when you are facing opponents with legendary saves - as an attack roll spell, Legendary Saves don't help. Plus, you can crit with it.

Yaarel

He Mage
Chromatic Orb is highly underrated. In the specific case of the Wild Mage Sorcerer, they can get a lot of use out of it due to their ability to use Tides of Chaos to give themselves Advantage on the attack roll. And any caster with an Owl familiar can give themselves advantage on the roll (up until someone takes out the familiar).

But even without that, 3d8 damage (+1d8 per spell slot level) of an element type of your choice is huge for a 1st level spell slot. Especially at higher levels when you are facing opponents with legendary saves - as an attack roll spell, Legendary Saves don't help. Plus, you can crit with it.

Dont forget to suggest which two spells you feel Chromatic Orb should go between.

The evaluation assumes a ‘normal’ use without a special combo Setup. But mention notable synergies with other spells or features.

Sometimes a spell is less than useful without a specific combo. Beacon of Hope is like this, and only works well if other healing spells or magic are present. These kinds of spells often count as a spell in the Setup category.

Last edited:

Remove ads