• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is THE standard of hex grids?

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Things have been moving along nicely here at Longtooth Studios. Our boards have been well received and we are getting ready to expand our product line.
Hex grid boards have been our #1 requested item. The trouble is that I am having a hard time deciding on what to make the standard size of our hex.
I know that 1” seems common, but I am not pleased with its performance. Due to the shape you really end up with a very tight packed group of minis depending on the scale. 1.25 seems to give the mini a little more room and I have created prototypes based on this size and they have performed well.
Before putting the hammer down on the subject, I was hoping to get some feedback from the community.
SO all of you hex users chime in, what do you think is the perfect size hex for you gaming table?
Any discussion about the use of hex in general?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I actually like the standard 1" hex. I use a bunch of terrain, some cardstock, some resin, some plastic, and one or two of plaster - using a non standard frid tends to throw the scale for me. (For a while some of my friends had a 1.5" grid. They played Clix games a lot.)

The Auld Grump

Aexalon

Explorer
Suggestion: I'd change the indentation order in your hex tiles from [- - - + + +] to [- + - + - +]. This way you don't need 4 different 2-indentation edge pieces ( [- -], [- +], [+ -], and[+ +] ), but only 2 ( [- +] and [+ -] ). The need for both 1-indentation edge pieces ( [-] and [+] ) would remain unchanged.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Suggestion: I'd change the indentation order in your hex tiles from [- - - + + +] to [- + - + - +]. This way you don't need 4 different 2-indentation edge pieces ( [- -], [- +], [+ -], and[+ +] ), but only 2 ( [- +] and [+ -] ). The need for both 1-indentation edge pieces ( [-] and [+] ) would remain unchanged.

Thanks, will look into that!

I like 50mm hexes. The average size of gaming minis has gotten slightly larger since the 25mm days and these figures are coming with larger bases. It is nice to have an ogre or troll on a somewhat larger than 1" base still fit into a single hex or square.

Would it be possible to make double sided tiles with a larger grid on one side? That would be the best of both worlds and certainly worth paying more per tile for the flexibility.

S'mon

Legend
How big do they need to be that a figure with a square 1" base can fit inside a hex? That's the biggest size you should consider. I think though most figures now are on 1" round bases that will fit in a 1" hex.

grodog

Hero
A lot of gamers have a lot of 25mm minis out there, so I'd still offer support for that size (1" hex, or perhaps even .75" or so).

Can you prototype the various sizes we've mentioned so far, with different sized minis there (IronWind/Ral Partha or Grenadier for 25mm, Reaper or Otherworld for 28mm, etc.)?

Remove ads