• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is THE standard of hex grids?

underthumb

First Post
I play GURPS, and 1" hexes are the standard for GURPS tactical combat. I would definitely purchase battlegraph boards with 1" hexes (assuming they are measured from flat to flat).

How big do they need to be that a figure with a square 1" base can fit inside a hex? That's the biggest size you should consider. I think though most figures now are on 1" round bases that will fit in a 1" hex.

1" bases are no problem at all. The problem comes from minis with larger bases that are supposed to represent a creature that takes up only 1 square/hex per the rules of the game.

Reaper Miniatures :: FigureFinder

This guy is a normal sized human figure which does not fit on a 1" base. There are also ogres, trolls, and other medium to large sized humanoids that are supposed to occupy 1 space but a 1" grid will not accomodate the actual mini.

Double sided for the win. :lol:

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Double sided is not an option at the moment, but yeah that would be pie.
Quality dry erase surface is not easily done.

Since we are small and we are still taking web orders only, I have the ability to custom scale the grid, but the size of the board will have to change with it.

We have the ability ad custom logo or text to the border pieces.

Obviously the customization would come with a cost, but I think we can offer that service to those who would use it.

This is very helpful info guys, keep the posts coming.

Anyone interested in using hex for RPG, or is this exclusively war gaming?

underthumb

First Post
Anyone interested in using hex for RPG, or is this exclusively war gaming?

I think there are plenty of other GURPS RPG gamers like myself who use tactical combat, but I don't know of any other currently supported RPG that specifies 1" hexes as standard. (Though it's possible that I'm simply not informed).

Doug Sundseth

First Post
1" hexes are not ideal, but they're pretty standard. If you want your product to work with the stuff people already have (Hint: I think that would be a good idea. :cool:, you'll want to use a 1" hex.

grodog

Hero
I can definitely see using the dry erase hexes for a wilderness trek in D&D, for example, or for exploring space in Traveller (esp. if you had reverse color hexes: black with white lines).

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I can definitely see using the dry erase hexes for a wilderness trek in D&D, for example, or for exploring space in Traveller (esp. if you had reverse color hexes: black with white lines).
Oh? And how would you draw on such a board? :)

Marshall

First Post
From what I can remember, the vast amjority of non-RPG mini games use a 1.5" Hex and even D&D minis would do well more space for the occaisional odd poses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads