• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is THE standard of hex grids?

I use hex exclusively for D&D. I'm not into minis, so size doesn't matter a whole lot to me. One of my players brings minis though, and 1" does the trick. A little bigger may or may not be nice; certainly not any smaller.

What edition are you playing?

We use 4e and have been seriously considering trying to switch it over to a hex system. What are the advantages/drawbacks?

Note for the OP: We don't use minis, we just dice and coins and stuff, so the size doesn't really matter. Closer to 1' the better, I'd guess.

Intrope

First Post
What edition are you playing?

We use 4e and have been seriously considering trying to switch it over to a hex system. What are the advantages/drawbacks?

Note for the OP: We don't use minis, we just dice and coins and stuff, so the size doesn't really matter. Closer to 1' the better, I'd guess.
I've been playing 4e on hex grid pretty much since it came out. Everything seems to work just fine. It has the positive result that bursts look circular--but the only way we could figure out to do close blasts makes them rhombuses. Which works ok, it just looks odd.

Couldn't you also do it like a spread away from you on the flat axis of your space? Kinda like how they did it in 3.5, you can either shoot it at a corner or in the flat direction.

Like this:

cb2.jpg

With the red and the blue representing two possible orientations of a close blast 2.

Intrope

First Post
Like this:

cb2.jpg

With the red and the blue representing two possible orientations of a close blast 2.
That's exactly how I am doing it. So I'm not sure what you are asking here.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the best match to the RAW for Close Blast appears to me to be a rhombus with side length = to Blast #. Which you can then place anywhere such that at least one hex side touches your hex.

And it looks weird to me is all. Granted, I think Close Blast looks weird on a square grid too. I don't actually have a mechanical issue with it, just an aesthetic one.

I think going to Hex justifies having a spread for the alternative angle.

This is as direct an interpretation to Hex I could create while still using two directions.

120master-1.png

That considerered, we're probably gonna do it like this:

120alt-1.png

I had to cheat a little but I think its a good translation and it'll be easier to implement.

PS. If somebody ever actually has a CB 2, I'll consider giving them back that red I took off the one angle. It's just easier to see the pattern this way.

schoon

Explorer
I would vote for the 1.25 inch hexes, agreeing that it gives the minis a little more room, and templates are fairly easy to adjust regardless of the hex size.

Intrope

First Post
Ah, I see. We do only the upper-right version in your first diagram--with the note that the character can be adjacent to any hex of the blast area. One of my fellow players made a CB3 & CB5 template for checking this, which helps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads