What is the status of Cormyr in 5e?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I wouldn't mind knowing either. I'm thinking of starting my next Campaign there, but my knowledge of Cormyr is....dated. I remember Azoun ruling and Alusair and Caladnei being up and commers, but now there is a Child-King and Alusair is dead?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Erin Evans's novel 'Fire in the Blood' is set in Cormyr post-Sundering, and even contains a family tree going back to Azoun V and Filfaeril from 3E.

Spoiler alert: In the current Realms timeline, Cormyr has a queen, not a king.

--
Pauper

bmfrosty

Explorer
I'm good with this. Cormyr is still a power. Not destroyed. Has a queen. Everything else I can pull from the 2008 document.

Really looking at a character concept for a knight, and Cormyr seems to be the type of place that has knights and a royal hierarchy.

aco175

Legend
I think SCAG has the Purple Dragon knight class in it.

I too find the lack of updated material to 5e to be a miss on Wizard's part. I know they have their model for putting out material and that is fine, but I would like a bit more. I know DMsGuild can make and cover all of FR now, but many people do not want things not put out by Wizards to be taken as canon. Even a Dragon+ article on updating things would be great.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think SCAG has the Purple Dragon knight class in it.

I too find the lack of updated material to 5e to be a miss on Wizard's part. I know they have their model for putting out material and that is fine, but I would like a bit more. I know DMsGuild can make and cover all of FR now, but many people do not want things not put out by Wizards to be taken as canon. Even a Dragon+ article on updating things would be great.

Agreed. They shook up the Realms again, and then didn't update how that affected most of the Realms.

Onslaught

Explorer
SCAG also has a few lines on Cormyr.

But AFAIK, the Realms are today what they were in 3E.

Almost all changes from 4e were reversed (thank god), and when things couldn't just be reversed/retconned, they were placed in a way that seemed like "things going back to what they were"...

Anyway, I'd also like a bit more info than what we've seen in SCAG (yet to read SKT). But until then, just grab old stuff and go with it :)

Al2O3

Explorer
If you want to use 5e canon for Cormyr then [MENTION=17607]Pauper[/MENTION] is right: Fire in the Blood is the source.

Some spoilers ahead:

The Queen is young, unmarried, a war hero, needs heirs but might not mind if they are bastards. During the the war against Sembia and shade she redistributed wealth from nobles unwilling to fight and gave to commoners willing to. Her brother was king but abdicated ASAP. The Queen is pragmatic and puts Cormyr before all. You do NOT want to suggest that she is unfit to rule.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads