• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite PrC from Masters of the Wild?

What is your favorite Prestige Class from Masters of the Wild?

• Animal Lord

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Deepwood Sniper

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Forsaker

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Geomancer

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Oozemaster

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Shifter

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Tempest

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Verdant Lord

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Windrider

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 8.5%

Synicism

First Post
I voted for the Deepwood Sniper because it's, IMO, one of the better put together of the classes, and I like archers.

I think some of the other classes are a bit overpowering, like the Shifter, with it's ability to gain the exceptional abilities of the creature it turns into, and some of them, like the exotic weapon master, are sort of munchkin.

nharwell

Explorer
Synicism said:
I think some of the other classes are a bit overpowering, like the Shifter, with it's ability to gain the exceptional abilities of the creature it turns into, and some of them, like the exotic weapon master, are sort of munchkin.

I find that rather odd -- it seems to me like the shifter, while very cool, is actually less powerful than a single-classed druid, particularly once you reach high levels. And the exotic weapon master is an interesting concept character, but hardly more effective than single-classed barbarian or fighter; you waste 3 feats for this class and are unlikely to use more than 2 or 3 exotic weapons anyway. Still, I can't argue that multiple specialization isn't useful....

wolff96

First Post
Shifter

I've got to say I really like the shifter.

I'm thinking along the lines of a fighter/wizard or fighter/druid that goes into the Shifter PrC...

Okay, let's see -- a gargantuan Iron Golem with a few levels of fighter could be fun. Not to mention the large category dragons -- screw the breath weapon, I'll just use hover, crushing attacks, and lots of natural weapons. Definitely a munchkin-able class, which is something I'll have to watch out for... sometimes I just can't help myself. ;)

One thing that I think does need to be errated, though, is the WildShape healing (for this class, anyway). At tenth level, I can just keep shifting forms until I'm completely healed. That's a bit silly... Of course, now that I think more about it, you could just turn into something with fast healing and/or troll regen.

PS -- Thought of a worse form: Remorhaz. It's huge, so it takes a bit longer to accomplish (not to mention finding one in the first place!) but ALL of it's powers are extraordinary... Don't use it on things immune to fire, though. :)

Last edited:

Temprus

First Post
Exotic Weapon Master!

EWM wins because its a Power Gamer's dream: Bastard Sword/Katana are Exotic Weapons when used one-handed for example. A Bard has EWP options and a Monk level gives plenty of EWPs. :) Only downer: it requires Rage ability (WHY???????).

nharwell

Explorer
Re: Shifter

wolff96 said:
One thing that I think does need to be errated, though, is the WildShape healing (for this class, anyway). At tenth level, I can just keep shifting forms until I'm completely healed. That's a bit silly... Of course, now that I think more about it, you could just turn into something with fast healing and/or troll regen.

I don't really see this as a problem -- you're a 15th level character by this point, so healing generally isn't much of an issue (compare 15th level Druid or Cleric -- you're giving up all those spell levels for something). On the other hand, I'm a little more concerned about the Animal Lord's Lesser Wildshape ability, particularly once they gain the power to share the form change with allies -- possible unlimited healing for the whole party, which concerns me much more than unlimited healing for a single, high-level character.

The Cardinal

First Post
now that I finally got the book...
...I must say that I *really* like the Geomancer - and the Hexer.
I guess my next PC could look like this...

Half-Orc (at first 17, 13, 14, 12, 18, 9)
TN
1. Cleric (Olidammara would be nice, Feat: spellcasting prodigy [Wis])
2. Wizard
3. Cleric [Feat: ExWProf (Bastard Sword)]
4. Wizard
5. Cleric
6. Wizard
7.-16. Geomancer
17.-20. Hexer

- at level 20: BAB +14/+9/+4, spellcaster level (wizard) 17th, access to clerical scrolls & wands, tons of special abilities, can cast any spell in full plate armor & shield, (18+5+6/13/14+6/12+2/22+5+6/9+2=29/13/20/14/33/11)...
...nice.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
The Cardinal said:
now that I finally got the book...
...I must say that I *really* like the Geomancer - and the Hexer.
I guess my next PC could look like this...

Half-Orc (at first 17, 13, 14, 12, 18, 9)
TN
1. Cleric (Olidammara would be nice, Feat: spellcasting prodigy [Wis])
2. Wizard
3. Cleric [Feat: ExWProf (Bastard Sword)]
4. Wizard
5. Cleric
6. Wizard
7.-16. Geomancer
17.-20. Hexer

- at level 20: BAB +14/+9/+4, spellcaster level (wizard) 17th, access to clerical scrolls & wands, tons of special abilities, can cast any spell in full plate armor & shield, (18+5+6/13/14+6/12+2/22+5+6/9+2=29/13/20/14/33/11)...
...nice.

How are you planning on casting Lightining Bolt as a divine spell without some levels in the Adept class?

The Cardinal

First Post
Storm Raven said:

How are you planning on casting Lightining Bolt as a divine spell without some levels in the Adept class?

wizard spell list: Lightning Bolt
Geomancer: makes no clear distinction between arcane&divine spells/ can cast all spells in the most favorable way possible

Storm Raven

First Post
The Cardinal said:
wizard spell list: Lightning Bolt
Geomancer: makes no clear distinction between arcane&divine spells/ can cast all spells in the most favorable way possible

That won't work. The Hexer PrC specifically says you have to be able to cast Lightining Bolt as a divine spell. The Geomancer allows you to cast spells in a more favorable way, but it doesn't change their type. Your Wizard based Lightning Bolt would still be an arcane spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads