• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What language is the Common of our world?

What language is the Common of our world?

• English

Votes: 296 72.2%
  • Spanish

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Chinese

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • French

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Esperanto

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Latin

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • There is no such language in our world

Votes: 79 19.3%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 9 2.2%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A simple enough question: In D&D, there has always officially been a language that most characters, player and non-player, could speak, if only to make things a little easier on groups that didn't want to futz with translation spells and characters acting as interpreters.

The rationale is that there are, or have been, certain languages that "everyone" who wants to communicate with outsiders knows. At different times in history, it might have been Latin or French (once the great language of diplomacy) and in the Muslim world, since the Koran can only be written in Arabic (although there are what are essentially study guides in other languages), that language might be pretty close. And, of course, English is heard in almost every corner of the globe. And one can't discount how many people speak Spanish or Chinese as native speakers and how many others learn it out of practicality.

What do you consider the Common of 21st century Earth?

Last edited:

Banshee16

First Post
I think it's English for now...but won't be for much longer.....probably either Chinese or maybe even Indian will supplant it in time.

Of course, I think it's not as important in most countries outside of North America. Canada (aside from Quebec and Ontario) and the U.S. are pretty much English-focused...but go to Europe, or most other countries, and people know 2+ languages on average.

Banshee

smootrk

First Post
English is used universally for trade/communications abroad, especially for computer oriented endeavors. You could argue that Chinese or Spanish might be spoken by more people, but English is still used by both cultures to conduct much business when a third common language is needed to bridge communications.

frankthedm

First Post
For common, the closest analog is engrish.

While other languages are used by more in thier repective population centers, the corrupton of the amercan corruption of english is more "spread over" our globe.

Conaill

First Post
Considering there's more than twice as many Mandarin chinese speakers than english speakers, I find it a bit hard to vote for English as the "Common of our world".

Within the typical D&D setting, consisting of a central well-explored and settled region surrounded by wilderlands and "lands beyond the edges of the map", I guess English definitely does fit that definition - at least for the majority of D&D players. Because then it's just a subjective decision, relative to the definition of "our world" within a limited medieval-like perspective. Chinese roleplayers (if any) would likewise consider Chinese the Common of "their world".

WayneLigon

Adventurer
English, as the language of business, is the closest thing we have right now. In the 22nd or 23rd it will probably some some kind of 'Spanglish' or 'Engrish'.

freebfrost

Explorer
Conaill said:
Considering there's more than twice as many Mandarin chinese speakers than english speakers, I find it a bit hard to vote for English as the "Common of our world".
Until you watch a foreign DVD, and hear the characters who are speaking Mandarin, or Japanese, or German, suddenly say English words and phrases as they speak. Watch any Toho Gojira/Godzilla movie to hear words like "time warp," "teleportation," or my favorite - "Let's go!"

I can't recall any popular media using Mandarin words, unless you count ordering Kung Pao chicken as speaking Chinese.

I say English.

:)

Falkus

Explorer

What language is most commonly used by governments or corporations in trade and communications? It's not Mandarin Chinese.

Ilium

First Post
Banshee16 said:
I think it's English for now...but won't be for much longer.....probably either Chinese or maybe even Indian will supplant it in time.
If I'm not mistaken many people in India actually use English as their "Common." There are lots of different languages used in India, but many well-educated people also speak English.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads