What level do you start at and why?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I prefer to start a new campaign at 1st level. My preference used to be for a number of reasons, of which "character development" was the one most cited, but Mutants and Masterminds (which starts at "10th level") convinced me that argument was pretty weak. Nowadays, all I can say is that starting at a higher level feels like cheating.

We all know that low-level characters are fragile. Given that, it just means more to make it through those fragile days into the (illusion of) safety at higher levels. (Anybody who actually thinks the typical D&D encounter is safer at higher level is nuts. IMO, the most dangerous levels are the mid-levels, where players start to think they have real power. Until they meet, say, a dragon of their CR or 1 or 2 higher ... )

Anyway, it boils down to preference. I start campaigns at 1st level because that's what I like to do. When I'm playing, if at all feasible I prefer to start a new PC from 1st. Sometimes it's not feasible -- pretty much any time the party is higher than 3rd -- but hey.

Jeff

James Heard

Explorer
I like starting at level one, because that gives me longer to torture, kill, and maim them before they gain access to pesky spells that can heal kobolds plucking out their eyes easily. Besides, that way I don't have to deal with the bad writing of some of my player's ideas of backgrounds when I start higher levels. You know,"I was raised by anthropomorphic wombats that taught me kung fu. My wombat name is Pete and I will kill anyone who finds out that secret name."*

*Thats an exaggeration, but not by much.

the Jester

Legend
Definitely first level.

In my experience, 1st level is where the pcs learn the most about their inner strengths and weaknesses. It's when the fighter discovers he's deathly afraid of fey, because they always charm him and he never resists. It's when the rogue first develops his awful hate of the undead, who he's nearly helpless against.

Yeah. First level. Both as a player and as a dm. Cuz when else can you use those lil wussy CR 1/4 monsters in small groups and still have it matter?

Savage Jim

First Post
As a player, I prefer starting low levels (3rd feels most comfortable, but I'll go Level 1 if that's what the GM has in mind without problem), although I'll gladly play any level for a one shot.

As a GM, I have no problem starting a campaign at any point between 1st and 12th; After 12th, not being familiar with the individual characters has surprised me far too often to be comfortable. No problem getting characters up past that level (their abilities grow as I watch), but starting them off with that many goodies has resulted in far too many crashed campaigns.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
2nd. It allows the characters to begin with multiclassed character if they want them (Though most don't) and gives them a wee bit better chance of survival.

The Auld Grump

MonsterMash

First Post
First level for me.

I prefer the characters to develop over time. I can see why it can be more fun to start at 3rd or so where PCs have a bit more ability and my favourite levels to play and GM for are between about 3rd-7th, but I still prefer to build up to that level organically. Also I find that levelling is so quick using the default 3e experience and progression that characters are away to third pretty quickly anyway.

Now I'm looking at developing some adventures for publication I'd use a mix of Iconic characters at the appropriate levels and some pregens that I designed for playtesting.

It depends on the setting and what the PC's and myself want from the game, but usually between 3rd to 5th level, this allows for multiclassing and ECL races/templates, and in more powerful settings like the Realms or Planescape a 1st level PC is practically cannon fodder, and in very-high-power settings like Dark Sun you've practically gotta start at higher levels (you know it was bad when all PC's started at 3rd level in 2e in a setting!).

As for new players or replacement PC's in case of death, I start them at 1 level below the lowest-level PC in the party, or the original starting level of the campaign (whichever is higher).

Darklone

Definitely level 1. Sometimes even with NPC class levels. Survivability for me does not mean many hitpoints and good AC but intelligent players who know that they cannot tackle everything.

I do play status quo games, so till 5th or 6th level the players are easily outmatched.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I prefer 1st level, both when I DM and when I (rarely) play. I get to see the characters grow, and I feel the experience is richer due to the weaknesses of the characters at 1st level.

That having been said, I started my Eberron campaign off at 3rd level. I wanted the PCs to have been veterans of the Last War.

Remove ads