• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Licensed RPG Do You Wish Used A Different System?

Have any of you saying Shadowrun taken a look at the Savage Worlds version? I think it's called Sprawlrunners.
I'm curious how it is.
Yes, playing in a Sprawlrunners game for ~2 years now. IMO it's the best unofficial version of Shadowrun so far. Definitely very playable.
The only thing to consider is: if I you grew up on the d6 dice pool-based system (in my case, Shadowrun 2e), then the feel will still be noticeably different. So in an ideal world, a competent game designer would disassemble SR 2e and 4e into basic building blocks, then judiciously start building a system with the roughly same crunch-level as the Savage Worlds version.

Last edited:

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yes, playing in a Sprawlrunners game for ~2 years now. IMO it's the best unofficial version of Shadowrun so far. Definitely very playable.
The only thing to consider is: if I you grew up on the d6 dice pool-based system (in my case, Shadowrun 2e), then the feel will still be noticeably different. So in an ideal world, a competent game designer would disassemble SR 2e and 4e into basic building blocks, then start judiciously start building a system with the roughly same crunch-level as the Savage Worlds version.
Yes.

I’m a real stickler for official versions for certain games.

Reynard

Legend
I forgot about Avatar. Yeah, I want a different system for that as well
I contend that it literally would not have mattered what system that game used, it still would have KSed for $10m. It is a super powerful touchstone for the millenial generation.

I also guess (but can't prove) about 25% of the people that backed it assumed it was 5E based.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I contend that it literally would not have mattered what system that game used, it still would have KSed for $10m. It is a super powerful touchstone for the millenial generation.

I also guess (but can't prove) about 25% of the people that backed it assumed it was 5E based.
Fair enough. I bought it without any intention of running it, but I would have appreciated a more traditional system.

Reynard

Legend
Anything from Modiphius using the 2d20 system. It’s just way too much. Even the “light” versions are too heavy. And of course Star Wars.
Obviously, YMMV etc, but I really like the 2d20 system in general and I think the Star Trek implementation is especially good. It has just the right amount of crunch for that setting for me. By contrast, I think the supposedly "narrative" Genesys system is WAY to fiddle for Star Wars. A Star Wars game should flow like water in play and absolutely does not need skill trees.

Remove ads