What multiclass builds would benefit the most from a Lore Bard 3 dip?

faria

First Post
Cutting Words is strong as hell. What multiclasses would benefit from dipping 3 levels into Lore Bard?

Maybe Sorcerers, Wizards, and Warlocks to have access to healing spells? Anything else?

Noble

First Post
Depends on what you want to do. If you are looking into healing, you can already be one of the best healers in the game. My tiefling bard started with one level in Life Domain Cleric before going Lore Bard to get even more buff heals and to add some heals to her list. As long as you start Cleric, you don't need to invest in Wisdom. She has been a great support healer and is mostly just Bard. Lore bards can get the Paladin spell Aura of Vitality earlier than the Paladin and it's one of the best heals in the game. Since Bard is a full caster, it's actually less beneficial to multiclass into another caster class unless it's very helpful, like the Life Domain. It'll slow your spells known level progression. The only reason I see for dipping bard instead of going full bard is if you are a martial class looking to add some fun features.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you really want to multiclass it, you've got a couple things to think about. You have a couple of full casting levels, so going with something that would have fun with that works well. Pure casters will be saddened by having known spells lag 1-2 levels behind, but partial casters like paladins could have a lot of fun with it.

If you are planning on using cutting words a lot, look for a build that doesn't compete for your reaction. For instance if you were playing a polearm master or sentinel paladin you would have a lot of competition for it. If you plan on using other bardic inspiration as well you want a build that does not reliable need it's bonus action.

Cutting Words gets a heck of a lot stronger at 5th when inspiration dice both grow from d6 to d8 and refreshing on a short rest instead of a long. If you're aiming at Cutting Words as a defining ability, that's really the sweet spot. Plus this way you don't exit the class without grabbing the ASI at 4th which would have been a big hit. And you get 3rd level bard spells which is pretty cool.

Though talking about when to leave, Lore 6 gives Magical Secrets: 2 extra spells known from ANY list. (And all bards get Countercharm at 6th as well.)

Of course, at this point you might just realize that what adds well with bard would be - more bard. Really, they are pretty sweet to play.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Bard is the only class I would not recommend a multi-class dip into. Its already a "multi-class" by nature in terms of skills, so I don't see its skillset strong enough to compliment another class's skillset.

But if you are set on it, I would probably lean towards Rogue or Warlock depending on whether you wanted to be more physical or magical. The Rogue will increase your overall mobility and scale fairly linearly with Sneak Attack while Warlock gets most of its Bread-And-Butter goodies early on (plus you can abuse the Warlock spell slot system for your Bardic spells or vice versa).

mellored

Legend
Bard 5. If cutting word is awesome, short rest cutting word is even better.

Warlock would probably be the best, followed by paladin and then sorcerer. You want something that will work with 20 Cha (for more cutting words). Though sorcerer will be several spell levels behind.

Warlock 2 will give you scaling ranged damage that will help you keep up with the rest of the party and allow you to branch out to other functions. Tome warlock 3 can give you shillelagh, which lets you hit things in melee with Cha, and can use booming blade/green flameblade to scale damage.

Lorebard 5/Tomelock 3/Paladin 6 works very well. Using Cha to hit, shoot, cast spells, and insult people. Has enough slots to power a bunch of smites or spells, all empowering your party in various ways.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
There is a MC skill build. Its something like Rogue1/Cleric1 (knowledge), Lore Bard 3, Warlock 2 (beguiling influence, agonizing blast). Take the feat that grants 3 skills and you are proficient in all skills. Use eldritch blast+hex+agonizing blast to deal damage.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There is a MC skill build. Its something like Rogue1/Cleric1 (knowledge), Lore Bard 3, Warlock 2 (beguiling influence, agonizing blast). Take the feat that grants 3 skills and you are proficient in all skills. Use eldritch blast+hex+agonizing blast to deal damage.

It gets better, continue with levels of Rogue from then onwards. Once you hit Rogue 11, you can't roll lower than a 10 on any of those skills.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I'm curious how combining it with the new version of the Favored Soul would work, relying on Charisma-based Cleric spells and metamagic on that side of the chassis.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I'm curious how combining it with the new version of the Favored Soul would work, relying on Charisma-based Cleric spells and metamagic on that side of the chassis.

The Metamagic options are what make it interesting for sure. But Bard already gets access to some Cleric spells, and the option for a few more at higher levels. However, a 3 level dip for a full caster class into another full caster class might not be the most advantageous...you get the slots though, so at the very least those can be burned to upcast spells or burn for Sorc Points.

Remove ads