What music do you love?

LightPhoenix

First Post
I appreciate pretty much any sort of music that's considered good and.or exemplary in it's genre... the sole exception being country, which I have never liked.

Generally, I'm a fan of complexity, and that reflects in my musical interests. I'm a big fan of prog rock, but more so towards the rock/alt rock side than the prog metal side in later years (Queensryche or Marillion over Dream Theater, for example). Any rap or "club" music that had complex beats I'm fond of, especially if it's not in strict 4/4 (or cut time) or 6/8. My favorite period of classical music is by far the Romantic composers - Dvorak, Saint-Saens, and up to Mahler (who I definitely consider more of a Romantic than Modernist composer).

Nyaricus

First Post
I'm really into heavy metal myself - black, death, groove/post-thrash, industrial, metalcore, nu, power and progressive metal are my personal favourite sub-genres, and I'm really starting to enjoy doom metal bands ala Candlemass (epic doom) or Evoken (funeral doom). Really, the only type of metal I really don't care for is drone-doom, thrash, glam and traditional heavy metal (these all tend to bore me; I like more extreme metal :p).

Fav bands as of right now: Amon Amarth, Arsis, As I Lay Dying, Bathory, Behemoth (black metal era), Blind Guardian, Burzum, Candlemass, Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Deicide, Gojira, Gothminister, Ihsahn, Impaled Nazarene, Into Eternity, Lamb of God, Lykathea Aflame, Marduk, Nile, Pelican, Static X, Thyrfing, Woods of Ypres.

Other then that, I enjoy industrial (especially EBM bands, like Suicide Commando, :wumpscut:, CombiChrist, etc), Hard and Alt. Rock (Godsmack, Smile Empty Soul, SOAD, StoneSour) and I enjoy folk (Gjallahorn) and classical (Dvorak) but I really need to buy some CDs, haha :p

cheers,
--N

Last edited:

Maikl

First Post

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You're not alone- I like rap too. I'm just very particular about whom I listen to (Public Enemy & De La Soul, for example). Some bands I only have 1 or 2 albums...OTOH, some bands only have 1 or 2 albums.

Rap accounts for maybe 3% of my collection...Jazz, Metal and New Wave account for close to 75%. Maybe more.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thunderfoot said:
Reggae (Roots, not house).

What is Reggae house?

InI be steppin dem natty dread reggae, rocksteady, raggamuffin & english ska (2 Tone)
Classic Motown (Smokey Robinson is the worlds greatest music maker), disco, Funk, old skool rap, ambient hip hop
Zydeco, Rockabilly, Bluegrass and some Country Ballards
Jazz, Swing, Blues, rock, Opera, Classical and I even use to sing Madrigals
I was introduced to Lebanese hip-hop and Turkish Rock which I like too

so yeah anything really...

Jeysie

First Post
The summary version: I'll listen to pretty much anything except heavy metal, rap, or country.

But, to list specifically some of my favorite genres...

Barbershop
Doo-wop (and acapella in general)
50's & 60s pop, blues, and folk music
Old skool Broadway musicals
Classic rock
80's pop, dance, and blues

Give me anything with good instrumentals and well-sung and/or enjoyable lyrics, basically.

I am very much a classic rock junkie, but I also branch out into classical and folk, with the ocassional oddball band like TMPG and Swans thrown in.

Arkham

First Post
I like a bit of everything. Examples taken from iPoop playlist as they come up: The Dresden Dolls, Rhythm Devils, Portishead, Daft Punk, Demons & Wizards, System of a Down, Emperor, Nat King Cole, The Enchanted ( Techno gregorian chant ), Front 242, A Perfect Circle, M. Gira ( aka Swans ), Dead Kennedys, Selena, The Black Heart Procession.

Remove ads