• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What options have you regreted allowing in your game?

I had a player join a game that was already near the end, and I mistakenly said, "make a character, Core+Complete" it was a low magic game, and the party was hunting down a necromancer. The player in question made a Sorcerer, with Sudden Maximize and Sudden Empower. Didn't tell me. (I had 8 players in that session so I was a little too busy to check his sheet, he arrived late) Final battle - Round 1 - Sudden Empowered Maximized Fireball. Bamf. Villain loses a ton of life, and all the mooks in the room (and 2 PCs) were dead or incapacitated. I knew the feats were good, and that sorcerers were sub-par, but he just did leagues of damage above what everyone else was capable of dealing (and taking). (They didn't have any real spellcaster, and their strength fighter bit the dust a few sessions earlier. They were a bunch of dex fighters and rogues) Luckily it was the last fight of the game, but man, never again.

Cameron

First Post
Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I had a player join a game that was already near the end, and I mistakenly said, "make a character, Core+Complete" it was a low magic game, and the party was hunting down a necromancer. The player in question made a Sorcerer, with Sudden Maximize and Sudden Empower. Didn't tell me. (I had 8 players in that session so I was a little too busy to check his sheet, he arrived late) Final battle - Round 1 - Sudden Empowered Maximized Fireball. Bamf. Villain loses a ton of life, and all the mooks in the room (and 2 PCs) were dead or incapacitated. I knew the feats were good, and that sorcerers were sub-par, but he just did leagues of damage above what everyone else was capable of dealing (and taking). (They didn't have any real spellcaster, and their strength fighter bit the dust a few sessions earlier. They were a bunch of dex fighters and rogues) Luckily it was the last fight of the game, but man, never again.
What exactly did you regret about this one? The fact that you didn't check his character, that you allowed him a range of options, or the Sudden feats?

Drowbane

First Post
Rabelais said:
Gestalt classes. Sweet Baby Jebus Jumping Up and Down, that was a mistake. Nothing ruins the game faster.

Wha... really? We could perhaps pull the LA/ECL out of the Gestalt, thats the real culprit.

We could play more of the AE Campaign with the level 1, non-gestalt, Faens... :p

Drowbane said:
We could play more of the AE Campaign with the level 1, non-gestalt, Faens... :p

[tangent]Quickling Faen Akashic with the right feats and stats can get +22 Sneak at level 1. Just sayin'.[/tangent]

Also, I regret allowing the Dodge feat in as written. It really needs to apply to all enemies.

-TRRW

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Oryan77 said:
I have a love/hate relationship with the Spell Compendium.

It has a ton of great stuff in there. It can really help a player out a lot. But it can be a real nuisance to a DM. Swift & Immediate spells can quickly thwart any attempts at making an encounter challenging. Girallon's Blessing combined with Blood Wind gets annoying also.

I still like the book though. It allows players to do a lot of things that are really helpful to them.

I agree with you here. The main problem I see is the divine casters who suddenly have a whole lot more spells avaialble to them. Wizards, sorcerers, and other spontaneous casters who have limited number of spells to choose from aren't a problem. But give druids and clerics carte blanche on the spell lists and you will see a growth in their power curves.

Remove ads