What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

Reynard

Legend
A new thought:

While I am not sure whether this is even an issue in today's isolationsist gamer age, one thing that a reasonably well defined implied setting in the Core rules might do is create a common frame of reference, especially if there is some attempt to make Organized Play a bigger part of the game (something I personally believe D&D would benefit from, but that's a subject for another thread). Being able to identify your character not just by race and class but by region of origin and what official adventures he'd been on would seem to be a way to strengthen the community aspect of the fanbase and make a more cohesive overall tone tom the game. Other, non-Core settings, adventures, etc... could easily change it up, but anything with the D&D logo most prominent (as opposed to the FR or Eberron logo) would be 'canon' for whatever setting is assumed as the baseline. This would be a good thing, IMO.

Of course, I live in CT where there is almost no RPGA presence and gaming groups are so closed that finding new players (or a game to join) is tantamount to uncovering DaVinci's Code.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
there ought to be no default, implied setting, just as there was in the pre-3E days. if there has to be one, we might as well stick with greyhawk. ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Kishin said:
I sometimes wonder just how many people you've actually turned off from Scarred Lands with your constant haranguing. I know I'm one of them.

It's not haranguing, it's pimping. :p But if you're turned off by it, hey then it probably wasn't something for you anyway. :p :)

Scarred Lands for 4th edition! :D

Kae'Yoss

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Well, I'd agree, but -- even without a list of gods D&D, as a rule set, already makes some pretty specific setting assumptions (e.g. the existence of demi-humans, magic being based on memorization and/or prayer, black and white morality, all priests being spell casters, etc).

About those assumptions:

Demi-humans: Elves, Dwarves, and so on are staple in a very large part of fantasy, and they're staple in all the big "role models" D&D has. Thus, it's reasonable to include those choices.

Vancian Magic: You need rules for spellcasting. The class system needs a set way to use magic. You can't just say "this guys do magic, figure out how". D&D's way sure is exotic, but using mana would be just another assumption. There'd be people wanting another way for magic to work no matter what. Note that D&D has more than one way to work magic (wizards' way and sorcerers' way) right in the core rules, to adapt the rules to your liking, and more are in optional rules, both from Wizards and from third parties.

Alignment: One of the easiest things to edit out actually. Ignore alignment for characters, ignore alignment based effects for the most part.

All priests being casters: That's not exactly true. All clerics are casters - it's in their class description. There surely isn't anything that says you can't make a priest using the expert class (choose class skills appropriate to this, like knowledge (religion, the planes, history), diplomacy, perform (oratory)).

Nightfall said:
It's not haranguing, it's pimping. :p But if you're turned off by it, hey then it probably wasn't something for you anyway. :p :)

Umm...

Nightfall, while all of us who worked on the setting have always appreciated your enthusiasm and kind words, why would you make this sort of assumption, even in jest? It seems more than a little silly, and it's exactly the sort of thing that I imagine Kishin has found a little off-putting.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I like the way that Greyhawk deities and the Great Wheel planar setup (albeit modified from the original) is used as the default setting for D&D. It's not Greyhawk or even Greyhawk Light, per se, but I think it's appropriate to use those traditional elements.

Basically, I voted "Greyhawk" because I think between Wizards of the Coast and Paizo Publishing it's a pretty good setup, even though I personally prefer Eberron.

I don't want Eberron to be the default setting because I don't want a very strong or detailed default setting in the core rules or to see Eberron whittled down to its bare bones.

Maybe I'm selfish. ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
wayne62682 said:
I agree and voted "no implied setting". However, I don't mind the current setup as is, where there is no real setting but to illustrate the gods and such they list a few of the Greyhawk deities.
What he said.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Nah. You're just in an in closet Orcus worshipper. ;)
I'm prepared to admit that I don't get Orcus. "Undeath" seems like a strange portfolio for a demon prince as opposed to a deity. It seems like an artifact of the weird way Gygax and co. developed the cosmology back in the day, but I honestly don't know enough to know whether or not that's true.

In any case, I wanted to add something:

I think it would be great if the next edition of Dungeons and Dragons took a cue from the three main World of Darkness game lines and included a very basic gazetteer for Greyhawk in the core rules. Vampire: The Requiem has a chapter on using New Orleans; Werewolf: The Forsaken has a chapter on using the Rocky Mountains around Denver; Mage: The Awakening has a chapter on using Boston.

If the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide each had a short chapter on Greyhawk from the appropriate perspective, deliberately calling it out as an example of a setting showcasing the kind of world the rules describe and which each gaming group can make their own, I think that would be an excellent way to keep Greyhawk alive without committing to the same level of support that the Forgotten Realms receives.

(I make the comparison to support for the Forgotten Realms because Greyhawk doesn't really compete with Eberron for "mindshare" of the player base, it competes with Wizards of the Coast's other pseudo-medieval, Tolkienesque traditional fantasy setting.)

If it proved to be really popular based on player feedback, you could do what the World of Darkness also does and publish a book which goes into a little more detail about the setting, like City of the Damned: New Orleans, Hunting Ground: The Rockies, and Boston Unveiled.

I envision that the Player's Handbook chapter would talk about the politics and geography of the world, things that PCs should know like "Where do the elves live?" and the like, whereas the Dungeon Master's Guide chapter would talk about cosmology, villainous forces like the demon princes/devil lords/Iuz/whatever, that sort of thing.

An alternative way of doing it would be via callout setting boxes scattered throughout the rules, imparting specific flavour that the rules themselves don't need. So you describe the basic rules and flavour attributes of elves - they're graceful and long-lived with an aptitude for magical study, they get +2 Dex, +2 Con, have low-light vision, et cetera - then there's an "Elves in Greyhawk" section, sidebar, or box which discusses the elven nation(s) of the setting, the history of the race, their relationships with other races and cultures of the world, and so on.

Basically, rather than the Greyhawky descriptions of the races that are evident in the current core rules, which are overruled and revamped by the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and the Eberron Campaign Setting in their own chapters about PC races, you have the universal mechanics and basic flavour that doesn't vary much from world to world and then an example, drawn from Greyhawk, of how elves can be developed beyond those basics. Nothing too extensive - I wouldn't want to add too much to the page count - but something that both showcases Greyhawk as the "example setting" in a little more detail and makes it clear that those elven attributes are universal but these only apply to Greyhawk, and other worlds may and will do things differently.

(An example here would be the description of how half-orcs are treated with suspicion or outright prejudice by members of other races, which probably fits very well in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms but which isn't always true in Eberron, which happens to have a region where orcs and humans live together in clans which count half-orcs as regular, respected members, and where one of the mercantile powers of the setting is made up of humans and half-orcs descended from the clans of that region.)

I'm sympathetic to those Greyhawk fans who want more for their setting, but I also see why it would be silly to commit to too much support for a setting which is, in the larger scheme of things, pretty similar to the Forgotten Realms, which has the massive advantage of a wildly successful line of novels drawing interest. I think a happy medium of a little bit of detail as the "example setting" in the Fourth Edition core rules - more use of proper names and history, but strictly as examples of a setting for individual player groups to flesh out with their own ideas - would be a good way of keeping Greyhawk alive for those fans and out of respect for the history of the game.

Remove ads