What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

Reynard

Legend
Kae'Yoss said:
Warforged are exotic. Count the fantasy worlds with sentient mechanical beings as a major factor and you'll have a very low count.

You do realize that someone is going to come along and point out that Warforged are sentient magical -- not mechanical -- beings, right?

ssampier

First Post
Frukathka said:
Blackmoor was the original DnD setting. Why not bring it back for 4th Edition?

Which version? The original which was a set of small pamplets (one? two?), not really a "setting". The second was the Blackmoor as Mystara's back-history.

Lastly, we have the 3.5 version recently published. It rocks-on-toast, I'm using to supplement my Wilderlands game.

Alceste

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
>Personal favorites

1) Dark Sun :D
2) Fae Run :D
3) Ravenloft :D

>What should the new implied setting?
>Rifts! :D

Sorry for any typos in advance

---Rusty

Humm, my favorite settings are:

1) Ravenloft
2) Eberron
3) Dark sun

So naturally, I voted for the only one that was listed (Eberron).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Liking a setting doens't have much to do with whether it's suited as a default setting. I like Eberron. (Not as much as I like my homebrew).

And I certainly think it would not make for a good default setting. A default setting should be like vanilla ice cream, you ADD stuff to it to get other flavors.

mmmmmm ice cream....... :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
having Eberron has the default setting would require quite a few subtractions for those DMs who want to run a more generic fantasy setting, i have to say. if it has to be anything (and i don't think it does), greyhawk would seem to require the least subtractions to get to the generic setting point. faerun a bit more, eberron more beyond that, dark sun way more beyond that. ;)

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
ssampier said:
Right. Warforged are not robots, they are sentient constructs. Regular golems are closer to robots than warforged are (not having a will of its own). They are probably closer to cyborgs, but they lack technology since they are magically created.

So . . . robots *aren't* sentient constructs?

Ever read Isaac Asimov? Philip K. Dick? Clifford Simak?

Ever seen Blade Runner? A.I.? The Matrix? Hell, even Star Trek: TNG?

It seems to me that Warforged are as much robots as any other fictional sentient robot.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Mokona said:
Wizards of the Coast has been unwilling to publish a Greyhawk Campaign Setting.

living.jpg

Remove ads