What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I've only pointed out (as have some other posters) that the inclusion of these things makes it impossible to have "no implied setting" -- because these things do exactly that (i.e., imply certain setting realities).

I'm not sure that this qualifies as an implied setting. It implies some assumptions, but not a whole setting.

I agree that D&D isn't free of assumptions (few roleplaying systems are I'd say)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Kae'Yoss said:
I'm not sure that this qualifies as an implied setting. It implies some assumptions, but not a whole setting.

A whole setting can't, by definition (to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement) be implied. A pre-exsiting setting can be alluded to, of course, but the allusion (i.e.. implication) in and of itself doesn't consitute a whole setting. The leap that was made between a list of Greyhawk gods in the D&D 3x PHBs, for example, and "The Whole World of Greyhawk" didn't occur on paper. The default assumptions of D&D form an implication of what a setting consists of, not the whole picture.

Kesh

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I think that the core rules should be free of exotic stuff as the very basic building blocks.
Good for you. I disagree. Eberron isn't exotic, it's just a different flavor on standard D&D. A few new races, a few new classes and some new fluff. Options are good for me.

And your picking out those posts who mention Eberron is becoming a bit of a one-trick-pony. Rather tiresome.

Last edited:

babomb

First Post
I like Greyhawk better than FR. So I'd rather that FR were the default setting that has no books produced for it, and they made Greyhawk books instead. :p

Kesh said:
Good for you. I disagree. Eberron isn't exotic, it's just a different flavor on standard D&D. A few new races, a few new classes and some new fluff. Options are good for me.

And your picking out those posts who mention Eberron is becoming a bit of a one-trick-pony. Rather tiresome.

one trick pony?!?!? I don't see it. There is so much going for Eberron. All of the game worlds have a niche to fill. Eberron and Darksun are just my favorites. Apparently not everyones. That is fine. That is good. Its all good.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
megamania said:
one trick pony?!?!? I don't see it. There is so much going for Eberron. All of the game worlds have a niche to fill.
He didn't say Eberron was a one-trick-pony. He said that someone's picking out of the posts that mention Eberron was a one trick pony.

Mokona

First Post
I want a line of Greyhawk Campaign Setting materials like Forgotten Realms received during v.3.5 and 3rd edition. :D

Wizards of the Coast has been unwilling to publish a Greyhawk Campaign Setting. :] One reason given is that Greyhawk is the default campaign setting so players already get enough material. Another reason is that they can only have a few campaign settings supported at once or business is diluted.

I voted Forgotten Realms in order to turn the tables. I want Greyhawk to receive the level of support that Forgotten Realms has received for the past five (5) years. I voted Forgotten Realms as the default, thus unsupported, campaign setting of 4th edition in the hopes that this would kill all dedicated support for Forgotten Realms. :p

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mokona said:
I want Greyhawk to receive the level of support that Forgotten Realms has received for the past five (5) years. I voted Forgotten Realms as the default, thus unsupported, campaign setting of 4th edition in the hopes that this would kill all dedicated support for Forgotten Realms. :p

Dream on. :p

Kesh said:

Warforged are exotic. Count the fantasy worlds with sentient mechanical beings as a major factor and you'll have a very low count.

"one-trick-pony"? :lol:

What should I pick out then? Those posts who want My Little Pony D20 as the standard campaign? or BESM d20?

Unless you haven't noticed, there aren't too many choices on this poll:

Greyhawk - My personal choice
Forgotten Realms - my favourite campaign setting, but not my choice as standard. Not many people here are saying that it should be.
Eberron - Which would be completely wrong.
A new setting - not many choose that, and fewer talk about it. I happen not to disagree with those that do.
No implied setting - might work, and again, not many talk about it, and no one said anything I think I should comment on.

So, see, there's only one choice I really don't like. That's Eberron. So when people say how great it was and it should be the standard setting, should be in twenty movies and on cereal boxes, I post my thoughts on how I don't want that.

What else should I do? Pick fights with the GH or FR fans just so I'm no longer a "one-trick-pony"? Yeah right.

Kesh

First Post
You've made your point pages ago. By now, you're beating a dead horse. The same one, every time. Yeah. One-trick-pony fits.

You don't like Eberron. We get it.

Remove ads