• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I've only pointed out (as have some other posters) that the inclusion of these things makes it impossible to have "no implied setting" -- because these things do exactly that (i.e., imply certain setting realities).

I'm not sure that this qualifies as an implied setting. It implies some assumptions, but not a whole setting.

I agree that D&D isn't free of assumptions (few roleplaying systems are I'd say)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Kae'Yoss said:
I'm not sure that this qualifies as an implied setting. It implies some assumptions, but not a whole setting.

A whole setting can't, by definition (to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement) be implied. A pre-exsiting setting can be alluded to, of course, but the allusion (i.e.. implication) in and of itself doesn't consitute a whole setting. The leap that was made between a list of Greyhawk gods in the D&D 3x PHBs, for example, and "The Whole World of Greyhawk" didn't occur on paper. The default assumptions of D&D form an implication of what a setting consists of, not the whole picture.

Kesh

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I think that the core rules should be free of exotic stuff as the very basic building blocks.
Good for you. I disagree. Eberron isn't exotic, it's just a different flavor on standard D&D. A few new races, a few new classes and some new fluff. Options are good for me.

And your picking out those posts who mention Eberron is becoming a bit of a one-trick-pony. Rather tiresome.

Last edited:

babomb

First Post
I like Greyhawk better than FR. So I'd rather that FR were the default setting that has no books produced for it, and they made Greyhawk books instead. :p

Kesh said:
Good for you. I disagree. Eberron isn't exotic, it's just a different flavor on standard D&D. A few new races, a few new classes and some new fluff. Options are good for me.

And your picking out those posts who mention Eberron is becoming a bit of a one-trick-pony. Rather tiresome.

one trick pony?!?!? I don't see it. There is so much going for Eberron. All of the game worlds have a niche to fill. Eberron and Darksun are just my favorites. Apparently not everyones. That is fine. That is good. Its all good.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
megamania said:
one trick pony?!?!? I don't see it. There is so much going for Eberron. All of the game worlds have a niche to fill.
He didn't say Eberron was a one-trick-pony. He said that someone's picking out of the posts that mention Eberron was a one trick pony.

Mokona

First Post
I want a line of Greyhawk Campaign Setting materials like Forgotten Realms received during v.3.5 and 3rd edition. :D

Wizards of the Coast has been unwilling to publish a Greyhawk Campaign Setting. :] One reason given is that Greyhawk is the default campaign setting so players already get enough material. Another reason is that they can only have a few campaign settings supported at once or business is diluted.

I voted Forgotten Realms in order to turn the tables. I want Greyhawk to receive the level of support that Forgotten Realms has received for the past five (5) years. I voted Forgotten Realms as the default, thus unsupported, campaign setting of 4th edition in the hopes that this would kill all dedicated support for Forgotten Realms. :p

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mokona said:
I want Greyhawk to receive the level of support that Forgotten Realms has received for the past five (5) years. I voted Forgotten Realms as the default, thus unsupported, campaign setting of 4th edition in the hopes that this would kill all dedicated support for Forgotten Realms. :p

Dream on. :p

Kesh said:

Warforged are exotic. Count the fantasy worlds with sentient mechanical beings as a major factor and you'll have a very low count.

"one-trick-pony"? :lol:

What should I pick out then? Those posts who want My Little Pony D20 as the standard campaign? or BESM d20?

Unless you haven't noticed, there aren't too many choices on this poll:

Greyhawk - My personal choice
Forgotten Realms - my favourite campaign setting, but not my choice as standard. Not many people here are saying that it should be.
Eberron - Which would be completely wrong.
A new setting - not many choose that, and fewer talk about it. I happen not to disagree with those that do.
No implied setting - might work, and again, not many talk about it, and no one said anything I think I should comment on.

So, see, there's only one choice I really don't like. That's Eberron. So when people say how great it was and it should be the standard setting, should be in twenty movies and on cereal boxes, I post my thoughts on how I don't want that.

What else should I do? Pick fights with the GH or FR fans just so I'm no longer a "one-trick-pony"? Yeah right.

Kesh

First Post
You've made your point pages ago. By now, you're beating a dead horse. The same one, every time. Yeah. One-trick-pony fits.

You don't like Eberron. We get it.

Remove ads