• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What spell level would this spell be?

Slit518

Adventurer
Spell Caster Doublet/Triplet/Quadruplet

x-level conjuration/illusion

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a drop of your blood mixed with a pinch of mixed gem dust worth at least 100 gp)
Duration: Until dispelled

You cast an illusionary doublet of yourself. This illusionary doublet has hit points equal to your current casting level + your casting stat modifier. The illusionary doublet's armor class is 10 + your dexterity modifier + your casting stat modifier. The illusionary doublet shares the same attack, saves, skills, spell attack, and spell DC as you do. However, it only has spells accessible at 1/2 of your current caster level rounded down. You illusionary doublet acts on it's own in a manner how you would normally act, and can be within any distance of you as long as you're on the same plane of existence. An illusionary doublet can interact with things and deal real, physical damage, as it's an extension of your ability.

You can also spend 1 round to transfer your consciousness into your illusionary doublet, taking full control of them, and sensing what they sense. While you do so, you are blinded and deafened to your surroundings. If you cast this spell again while any Caster Doublets/Triplets/Quadruplets are active they will be replaced by the new ones.

The illusionary doublets can only gain HP if the caster spends their own personal HD pool to heal it. Spells and abilities for a doublet are recovered at the end of a Long Rest. Illusionary doublets are not allowed to cast this spell, or any spell that clones them or the caster.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of y level, you create a Caster Triplet, and when you cast this spell using a spell slot of z level you create a Caster Quadruplet.

Last edited:

EvanNave55

Explorer
It wasn't specified but it seems you instead for these duplicates to regain spells, heal, etc. Like any real person would?

I'd say this draws a closest parallel to simulacrum which is a seventh level spell (and a decently powerful one at that- even ignoring the infinite simulacrum army abuse). This is superior to simulacrum in nearly every way so I'd say it has to be a MINIMUM of 8th level. Though I think this would be more appropriate as a 9th level spell.

Edit: you would also need to lay out how you intend this to interact with resource recovery and specify that they can not gain levels similar to the simulacrum spell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Slit518

Adventurer
It wasn't specified but it seems you instead for these duplicates to regain spells, heal, etc. Like any real person would?

I'd say this draws a closest parallel to simulacrum which is a seventh level spell (and a decently powerful one at that- even ignoring the infinite simulacrum army abuse). This is superior to simulacrum in nearly every way so I'd say it has to be a MINIMUM of 8th level. Though I think this would be more appropriate as a 9th level spell.

Edit: you would also need to lay out how you intend this to interact with resource recovery and specify that they can not gain levels similar to the simulacrum spell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Fixed! The max HP a doublet could have is 25 HP, when you're 20th level with a +5 mod in your casting stat.

Also, I believe through transitive property a Simulacrum shouldn't be able to create a Simulacrum without destroying themself as a result.

Quickleaf

Legend
A little difficult to understand... "casting level" isn't a term in 5e... and not sure about spell's intended purpose...

Sounds like a spell that would allow concentrating on multiple spells & breaking the action economy in a way superior to Action Surge? I don't think there's any way to judge the spell's level – it breaks many of 5e's design precepts, as I understand them.

In order to be a low enough level to be able to upcast it at all, I think that it needs to have a set duration. It breaks the concentration, spell slot, and action economy as is.

Quartz

Hero
Essentially, this is a (Dr) Doombot, right? To be at all reasonable, it needs to share your spell slots. Otherwise you're just giving yourself double spells. Either that or at the time of its creation you transfer some of your spell slots to it which are not recovered until you dismiss the spell.

Slit518

Adventurer
Essentially, this is a (Dr) Doombot, right? To be at all reasonable, it needs to share your spell slots. Otherwise you're just giving yourself double spells. Either that or at the time of its creation you transfer some of your spell slots to it which are not recovered until you dismiss the spell.

I like that, sharing Spell Slots. That could make it better.

Remove ads