• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to DM to a newbie group of girls?

The_Magician

First Post
I have 5 19yr old girls who have asked me to DM to them. Two of them ahve played RPG only once, and the others never had contact with it. Since the two who have played, played D&D3E, I am considering going with that system. Also, I dont believe they are the kind of group that will play many sessions, so I was hoping anyone could suggest a quick and fun adventure for hysterical 19yr old girls that would need no more than 2 sessiosn to conclude.
Thanks. :)

bubbalin

First Post
Ha, I await the seedy comments of the others on this board. :) 5 19 year old girls huh? :)

I think you need to see what they are like, their interests etc... Maybe you should try Macho Women with Guns. :)

the Jester

Legend
Dont go in full of preconceptions about them only wanting to play a game or two. Keep an open mind. Treat them like you would anyone else in a game.

The_Magician

First Post
Girls are not like boys. Girls have wa wa, boys have wee wee. But this is NOT the point of this thread, so please discuss it somewhere else. As for having prejudice, I know these girls, and I am almost positive they are not gonna become roleplayers. Again, it's not the point of the thread. If they decide they want to play more, I DM more, but that doesnt change the point they are girls, they are beginners, and I dont want to give them anything too complicated to start with, so I was thinking of a small adventure, with more mystery than combat. If anyone can help by suggesting some, I would really appreciate it.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Keep an open mind, as stated - go for a plot that _could_ conclude quickly, but has a twist to keep them comming back if they desire:

I'd go with a simple, "Your town is besieged by [something]! Take up arms and destroy it!"

Dire Rats in the sewer, a plague of kobolds, etc. Then follow it with something like this:

"The vile [villian] has been defeated, and his [castle/keep/home/tower] scoured for goods. Amoung the [treasure] here, lies a single note, detailing, quite handily, the exact plans which the you [the adventurers] just thwarted. However, this note is written in the form of directions, and is penned by none other than [important, benevolent figure]. Could [he/she] have been behind it?"

No preconceptions is a good thing, for you an them. No "oh, more drow" or "oooo - beholders! I'm _soooo_ scared...I cast Antimagic Field."

D-rock

First Post
Kirin'Tor said:
Keep an open mind, as stated - go for a plot that _could_ conclude quickly, but has a twist to keep them comming back if they desire:

I'd go with a simple, "Your town is besieged by [something]! Take up arms and destroy it!"

Dire Rats in the sewer, a plague of kobolds, etc. Then follow it with something like this:

"The vile [villian] has been defeated, and his [castle/keep/home/tower] scoured for goods. Amoung the [treasure] here, lies a single note, detailing, quite handily, the exact plans which the you [the adventurers] just thwarted. However, this note is written in the form of directions, and is penned by none other than [important, benevolent figure]. Could [he/she] have been behind it?"

The old playing to your players lack of closure trick to keep them coming back for more strikes again.

The_Magician

First Post
Thanks, but I am actually trying to avoid combats as focus. I am hoping someone can just come here and blurb the name of an entertaining short adventure module.

SWBaxter

First Post
I'd probably go with The Wizard's Amulet (free download from Necromancer Games), it's a decent one-session adventure with hooks for more if desired. You might want to mess with the motivations and relationships among the NPCs a bit to make them more meaningful to your group, but it runs fine as-is.

Celebrim

Legend
If you can find it or maybe purchase it as a PDF convert UK1: 'Beyond the Crystal Cave' over to 3rd edition.

It would be a perfect two session introduction for a group of non-geek girls. There is a low emphasis on combat, and a high premium on good inquisitive roleplaying. There are some basic puzzles involved, but none of them (except for perhaps the maze puzzle) are particularly tedious. The module is 'girl friendly' with alot of faeries, cute animals, unicorns, and that sort of thing. The basic plot of the story concerns a pair of star crossed lovers who have fled into a mystic cave to seek shelter from thier families. In fact, UK1 could easily be run as a Blue Rose module.

The module is for low level characters, so you could easily use it as a launching point for latter adventures in case some of the group turns out to be gamer grrls.

Remove ads