• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What To Do with Player?

Thomas Percy

First Post
New player joined our group 4 weeks ago.
He agreed to play good or neutral - aligned character then.
Because rest of the PCs is good and noble.
His PC killed innocent sleeping person last game session,
and done it in such stupid way that rest of the PCs found the murderer in one round (speak with dead).
I stop a session this moment.

The PCs will want to kick out from their fellowship and imprison (or polymorph) the murderer.
The players lament, new player broke his word and plays evil-aligned character.

How to resolve this problem?

wayne62682

First Post
Short answer: Get rid of him.

Longer answer: Talk with him out of game and let him know that the rest of the PCs are good characters, and he needs to make a character that fits in.

If that fails, see Short Answer.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In-game, have his character tried, convicted, and executed. Then, see if said player is interested in rolling up another character. If no, problem solved. If yes, half-assume it'll be nasty regardless what is written next to "alignment" on the character sheet, and the party had better watch their backs. :)

This is about how I started, way back when: my first character killed another sleeping PC (there's some backstory there, but I won't bore you with details) and was executed after a drumhead trial by the rest of the party. It was over a year before I came back to the game; to this day we're all still friends. :)

Lanefan

Chimera

First Post
"When you joined this group, you were told that the PCs were Good and Noble. You agreed to play a Good or Neutral PC.

You didn't do this.

You acted Evil, you acted Stupid.

When you first join a new group, whether that be a gaming group, a new job, or any social club, you are effectively a Guest. You are expected to be on your best behavior. You are expected to fly low, to fit in, to be friendly; in order to find your place in the group.

You didn't do this. You did something that you should have known would piss people off. Maybe you thought it would be funny. Maybe you thought it would be cool. Maybe you thought you could get away with it and no-one would be able to do anything about it.

You were wrong."

From this point, two options:

1>

"You are no longer welcome in this group. Good Luck and Good Bye."

or

2>

"Although we've seriously considered showing you the door, we'd like to give you another chance to prove yourself. IF you recognize that you made a mistake and that you'd better be on your best behavior from here on out.

Your current PC is dead. Gone. He'll be turned over to the authorities and probably executed, with our blessings.

You can make a new PC, but he'd better be Good, and fit in with the current group. No pushing it, no misdeeds, no screwing up. You get one chance."

Nyaricus

First Post
What those above said. His character now has been executed, and he needs to roll up a new one which will fit in with the group. If he doesn't do this, he's obviously at odds with your playstyle; "too bad, so sad..." and all that.

cheers (and good luck!),
--N

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Thomas Percy said:
New player joined our group 4 weeks ago.
He agreed to play good or neutral - aligned character then.
Because rest of the PCs is good and noble.
His PC killed innocent sleeping person last game session,
and done it in such stupid way that rest of the PCs found the murderer in one round (speak with dead).
I stop a session this moment.

The PCs will want to kick out from their fellowship and imprison (or polymorph) the murderer.
The players lament, new player broke his word and plays evil-aligned character.

How to resolve this problem?

How old is the player in question? Is it possible he simply doesn't understand what you meant or is too immature (in years) to really grasp the point?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Psychotherapy? Counselling?

Yeah, or just talk to the guy. Thrash it out, argue if necessary. Whatever comes of it, it's better than having it lurking beneath the surface and poisoning future sessions. . . or worse.

Glyfair

Explorer
Lanefan said:
In-game, have his character tried, convicted, and executed. Then, see if said player is interested in rolling up another character. If no, problem solved. If yes, half-assume it'll be nasty regardless what is written next to "alignment" on the character sheet, and the party had better watch their backs. :)

I disagree with this. This is clearly a player issue first, and a character issue second (if that). You should take the player aside, get his POV, explain the group's POV, then discuss the issue. If the player isn't suitable for the group, tell him so.

In character, I agree with having the player arrested, tried, etc. You might, if it fits the flavor of your game, allow him to have a "redo" and skip the events if you feel it was just an aberration and the game would be better for it. Some groups feel strongly this should never happen, but it might be the best solution for getting past it if the discussion resolves any issues.

Remove ads