• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What To Do with Player?

Acid_crash

First Post
Is this the first game he's ever played in an rpg? If so, give him a break and talk to him, see what his motivation is. If it's that crap that 'real' men are evil because being good is lame and boring, then still talk to him but that the next time he does go against the social contract of the game he's got to go.

Bottom line, with any player, is that if a player go against the social contract of the group, and goes against the style of game the GM wants to play in, then that person is usually cast out.

but..kill his character through a trial, show him the consequences of his mistake, and see what happens.

I remember a kid, around 16, that was trying D&D for the first time in our group. He wanted to play a necromancer, but that went against the heroic notion of the group. First town we entered, he wanted to poison the well. Next day, we killed some goblins, and he wanted to put a severed head into a bottle. Despite that he is playing a cleric of good, this is all he wants to do. Can you tell he was used to Diablo? He lasted three weeks due to the sheer annoyance and lack of adaptability of this person.

Boss

First Post
If you are thinking that a trial or something along those lines would cause problems for the rest of the party (hey, even the good have secrets), then my suggestion is that you don't worry about a trial. Could another adventuring party be related to the victims? Perhaps they were related to the town constable, and he doesn't feel like waiting for the justice system to get revenge?

If you are going to get rid of him (and I say go for it, he obviously won't change his attitude from the comment he made), then do it quickly before you play again, and have his character go on the lame. His body could be found later as part of the adventure, or another, or he could become an NPC villain for the party to go against (former friend turned on them).

Thomas Percy

First Post
Acid_crash said:
Is this the first game he's ever played in an rpg?
Oh, no. He's a player and DM from 7 years (AD&D, 3e, Cthulu, Warhammer).

Killing of sleeping innocent NPC was a peak of his "evil" career for now. He signed a pact with demon, he trying to buy a cloak of Vecna in every shop, he tortured a lot of people (he has charm person spell), and he was impressed very much by Nazi-like ideology of campaign top bad guy. The player said his character is neutral-aligned, so he can do such things.

I'm reading yours advices and I'm thinking "is it the character problem or the player problem?"

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"Mercy!? You wanted mercy? I'm chaotic neutral!!!"

Again: kill him and take his stuff.
Player if you can get away with it, PC otherwise.

-- N

PS: You probably can't get away with it. :(

werk

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
He's 25 years old.
He know what he done, because he explained, good-aligned PCs are boring, unrealistic and not suitable for Real men.

Unredeemable for your purposes.

Boot in arse, problem solved.

Arnwyn

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
Do you (the question is for every Enworlder) have any experience with redo options in the game? Does it has any dark sides, beside it strains the suspension of disbelief?
It has no dark sides. We consider it a game first and foremost, and thus have no problem with re-doing anything in the game, especially when the issue is from a source outside of the game; we can recognize a player problem when we see it.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Thomas Percy said:
Oh, no. He's a player and DM from 7 years (AD&D, 3e, Cthulu, Warhammer).

Killing of sleeping innocent NPC was a peak of his "evil" career for now. He signed a pact with demon, he trying to buy a cloak of Vecna in every shop, he tortured a lot of people (he has charm person spell), and he was impressed very much by Nazi-like ideology of campaign top bad guy. The player said his character is neutral-aligned, so he can do such things.

I'm reading yours advices and I'm thinking "is it the character problem or the player problem?"

This is a player problem.

While you should probably drop this guy, I suppose you wouldn't be gaming with him in the first place if you didn't have some reason for liking him. (Even if it's just that players are rare.)

Maybe you should trying sending him here to enworld. Reading some of the actual play threads and more interesting questions raises on forums like these might open his eyes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Glyfair said:
I disagree with this. This is clearly a player issue first, and a character issue second (if that). You should take the player aside, get his POV, explain the group's POV, then discuss the issue. If the player isn't suitable for the group, tell him so.

In character, I agree with having the player arrested, tried, etc. You might, if it fits the flavor of your game, allow him to have a "redo" and skip the events if you feel it was just an aberration and the game would be better for it. Some groups feel strongly this should never happen, but it might be the best solution for getting past it if the discussion resolves any issues.
Nix to the re-do...never a good solution, and it sets an awful precedent for the remainder of that campaign.

As for the rest, I'm perhaps more of a let-'em-play DM than some; if the players want their PC's to kill each other, fine by me. I've never been a fan of this whole "social contract" theory, but then, perhaps I'm spoiled by (for the most part) only having gamed with people I also know outside the game, and if I don't know or like someone (or if there isn't a recommendation from someone I know-trust) they're not getting in my game. :)

What's not made clear is how well the player gets along with you and the other players outside of the game. I find this is usually what makes or breaks a game; if the players don't like each other outside the game, the game's probably not going to work.

Lane-"kill 'em all and let the gods sort 'em out"-fan

Remove ads