• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What To Do with Player?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
Oh, no. He's a player and DM from 7 years (AD&D, 3e, Cthulu, Warhammer).

Drop him! Kick him out. Hell: Drop kick him out! :]

Killing of sleeping innocent NPC was a peak of his "evil" career for now. He signed a pact with demon, he trying to buy a cloak of Vecna in every shop, he tortured a lot of people (he has charm person spell), and he was impressed very much by Nazi-like ideology of campaign top bad guy. The player said his character is neutral-aligned, so he can do such things.

I heard "I'm CN, why can't I just kill people?" once. This is even worse.

That's way beyond neutral. That's Evil with a capital E. If he's not being a pest on purpose, he's completely clueless and proud of it.

I'm reading yours advices and I'm thinking "is it the character problem or the player problem?"

Player problem. He's got issues.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Arnwyn said:
It has no dark sides. We consider it a game first and foremost, and thus have no problem with re-doing anything in the game, especially when the issue is from a source outside of the game; we can recognize a player problem when we see it.
So if things go wrong in the game (e.g. a TPK, loss of a prized possession due to bad luck, death of a major character, etc.) you can call for a do-over? Gah!

If something happens, even through the worst of reasons, it happens. It becomes part of the history of the campaign and stays there...I just can't imagine a tabletop game where this tenet is not carved in stone. Anything else leads down a very slippery slope with the "save...reboot" monster waiting in the murk at the bottom.

Lanefan

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Lanefan said:
Nix to the re-do...never a good solution, and it sets an awful precedent for the remainder of that campaign.

I'd say they're not planning having any more idiots in the game, so this should be a one-time event.

As for the rest, I'm perhaps more of a let-'em-play DM than some; if the players want their PC's to kill each other, fine by me.

But they don't want to. The premise was to create good characters, not evil sociopaths. He didn't adhere to the character requirements.

Someone who defies the DM like that can't be allowed to stay in a game.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Based on what you are describing, this is a player problem. It sounds like he just wants to get his jollies by running roughshod over the campaign/scenario.

If you prefaced that it's a heroic run, and he's actively pursuing evil items, demon pacts, torture and idolizing the bad guy - well, he's not neutral, and he hasn't read and understood the description of the neutral alignment.

Barring massive info that would make these actions the heart-wrenching "only way out" actions of a sympathetic anti-hero, it really sounds like he is just a pain in the butt who likes to ruin other peoples' fun so he can create drama and anger and be center stage.

Politely tell him that he is no longer invited to your game, and inform the remaining players that his character never existed, and nothing he did ever happened, and move on from here in the clean, bright alternate universe of heroic adventure which you and your other players prefer.

Last edited:

BlackMoria

First Post
Killing of sleeping innocent NPC was a peak of his "evil" career for now. He signed a pact with demon, he trying to buy a cloak of Vecna in every shop, he tortured a lot of people (he has charm person spell), and he was impressed very much by Nazi-like ideology of campaign top bad guy. The player said his character is neutral-aligned, so he can do such things.

I'm reading yours advices and I'm thinking "is it the character problem or the player problem?"

It is a player problem. He knew the parameters of the campaign (you explained it to him) and he choose the obvious CN alignment to justify his 'I will do want ever I want'

He conciously made the decision to put on the 'Does Not Play Well With Others' T-Shirt, since his character personality runs contrary to the rest of the other characters. That is a sign of a disruptive player.

His comment about 'real men' do not play good characters is sauce for the goose and shows his true colors.

In short, he is not likely to change his play style and not likely to conform. Therefore, he is a poor fit for the group.

Recommendation: Kick to the curb. Buh_Bye!

JDragon

Explorer
Well, like most of the people here I think its better to talk to a player before asking them to leave. But sometimes you don't have that option.

This to me is a player issue, not a character issue.

The player was told at the begining that the group was good characters and the players wanted something to fit with that. He made the choice to make a character that stretched the limits of the initial guidelines from the begining and pushed those limits from the begining of play from the things mentioned.

I would not let this player's characters actions have a negative impact on the other PC's, they may not be perfect but they appear to have stayed with in acceptable limits of their own making, not blowing through them like a freight train as this player did.

Bottom line, PC arrested, then before trial disappears, body never found.

Player told out of game to change attitude or find a new group as his playing style does not mesh with your groups and results in no one having fun, problem player included.

Thanee

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
The player said his character is neutral-aligned, so he can do such things.

He's actually right there. He can do such things. But, he better shouldn't, because it doesn't fit into the campaign, obviously. His character and his mind set do not belong there.

A player problem, from what you say.

Just remove the character from the campaign in whatever way suits you, and ignore any consequences his deeds would have for the others.

If the new guy doesn't want to fit in, then well... let him have his way... somewhere else. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thanee said:
He's actually right there. He can do such things.

I disagree on this. Killing people in their sleep is obviously evil. It's light years away from any borderline. I'd say that dealing with fiends is evil, too (unless he did it for good ends, than it might be considered neutral - a bit good, a lot evil, but not evil enough for actual evil alignment.)

pawsplay

Hero
If he thinks Good characters are unrealistic or boring, he has a warped view of the world, and probably shouldn't be allowed in your house. Presumably, he's already rifled through your sock drawer looking for cash, felt up your sister, and used your address for a bank scam.

Remove ads