• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to make Grendel?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Psst. Dragon 329 already has all the work done for you, if you have access to it. Grendel's only CR 9 (and his mother's CR 13), so he'd require some scaling for your purposes. A unique creature, roughly based off of a feral bog giant.

Why, yes, I did write that article. Why do you ask?

Demiurge out.

Tsillanabor

First Post
Grendel
Large Giant (cold)
Hit Dice: 14d10 + 143 (220 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 45 ft. (9 squares), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 29 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +21 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+23
Attack: Claw +22 (2d8+13) OR Greataxe +23 (3d6+13) OR Rock +8 ranged (2d6+13)
Full Attack: 2 claws +22 melee (2d8+13) OR Greataxe +23/+18 (3d6+13) OR Rock +8 ranged (2d6+13)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing, Improved Grab, Pounce, Rake, Rend, Smite Good (+14 dmg) 1/day
Special Qualities: Immunity to cold, low-light vision, rock catching, Darkvision 120’, DR 4/- OR 10/magic, Resist Fire 10, Spell Resistance 19, Fast Heal 10 (submerged only), Scent
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +3, Will +7
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 9, Con 29, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Climb 16, Intimidate 6, Jump 20, Spot 12
Feats: Cleave, Power Attack, Weapon Focus-Greataxe, Improved Natural Armor x5, Great Cleave, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Toughness, Lightning Reflexes, Toughness, Roll with it x2
Environment: Kyrlund
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: Standard

Tsillanabor

First Post
Wow, lots of replies to respond to!
demiurge1138-sorry, don't seem to have it.
spunky_mutters-I know-it fit my idea of Conan-esque (Dark Horse Comics version) frost giants too well for me not to use though.
Nyaricus-cool version. I think I need a higher AC, as this is a relaxing powergame-get-all-the-evil-out-of-our-systems-before-going-back-to-our-regular-game type of game, and almost everyone has a really high attack bonus.

btw-fiendish feral frost giant half-troll is what mine is. Mom will be a big scrag barbarian.

Nyaricus

First Post
Tsillanabor said:
Nyaricus-cool version. I think I need a higher AC, as this is a relaxing powergame-get-all-the-evil-out-of-our-systems-before-going-back-to-our-regular-game type of game, and almost everyone has a really high attack bonus.

btw-fiendish feral frost giant half-troll is what mine is. Mom will be a big scrag barbarian.
Remember, there are no magic items, and no armour on him ATM. Nata. Nothing. That would change him a lot, once you add on all the magical goodies he'd need.

demi-urge, that's neat dude, but Grendel at DR 9? What were you thinking?? :p

spunky_mutters, well aware, but that template makes this critter that much more deadly :]

Last edited:

Tsillanabor

First Post
That is why my baseline is so tough. I'm running a really low-magic world (with feats every level or hit die to compensate) so I'm trying to give out only expendable or limited-use items, as the characters each have a good item or two already.

Nyaricus

First Post
Fair enough, personally I don't think all that rock thorwing giant crunk is very useful/appropriate, but hey, at least we used some awesome templates in similar manner :p

DJCupboard

Explorer
Grendel can't have DR 5/ magic, Beowulf wouldn't have been able to kill him. He needs something like DR 10/bludgeoning (or whatever type of damage constriction does). If you have magic weapons, you're probably doing enough extra damage to not care as much about the DR anyway.

You might want to build him as a completely unique creature, as all of the monstrous descendants of Cain were.

Demiurge, though I don't recall the specifics any more (and am at work, so I can't check), I do recall enjoying that article.

~DJC~

Remove ads