• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to read, what to read...

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I just finished the Dragonlance War of Souls trilogy and am looking for another book to read. Now I don't have a good selection of books that I haven't read and i want to expand my collection beyond Dragonalnce and a few select scifi novels.
Now I feel kinda burnt out of both fantasy and sci-fi and am looking for something different, maybe something stuck in the real world. I was thinking of HP Lovecraft but I've never really been into stories like that (but I never gave it a try). I know there was a thread about where to start on HP Lovecraft but I can't find it.
Besides that, what are some other books that might be interesting? Just name a few and a basic info on the story.

Welverin

First Post
American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Not sure how to describe it without giving anything away, hopefully someone else will come along and do so.

They are fantasy, but I'll still suggest the Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust, I suggest starting with The Book of Jhereg.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I second American Gods by Neil Gaiman and I also recommend Neverwhere by Gaiman and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
You like historical fiction? Try Michael Curtis Ford (Roman era usually), Steven Pressfield (ancient greece), and Michael and Jeff Shaara (American Civil War).
For some pure history I recently read Samurai William (about the attempt of the English to open trade with Japan in the 1600s).

I would recommend Pratchett's Discworld but you said you weren't burnt out on fanatsy even though his is atypical.

This is probably the not the best place for suggestions on non-fantasy / sci-fi books to read. :)

Personally, I love Neil Gaimon's books, but they might be a bit too fantastic for you at the moment. (If so, you've got to read them in the future!)

Three non-fantasy / sci-fi books I really like are :-

"The Scapegoat" by Daphne Du Maurier
"A Dark Adapted Eye" by Barbara Vine
"Presumed Innocent" by Scott Turow (although maybe not if you've seen the film)

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way of describing any of them without spoilers, but they are a long way from Dragonlance.

Alternatively, any of Bill Bryson's travel books (I particularly like "Notes from a Small Island").

MonsterMash

First Post
I know its by an author that is thought of as SF, but Neal Stephenson's Baroque Triliogy is good.

I like crime novels by Elmore Leonard and James Lee Burke, especially Leonard's use of dialogue.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I've heard of American Gods and seems interesting. I started Hiroshima until I can pick it up. If you got any other suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Oh just one more thing. Anyone know the thread that talks about on where to start with HP Lovecraft books? I can't seem to find it.

Welverin

First Post
Anime Kidd said:
I started Hiroshima until I can pick it up. If you got any other suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Well since you asked, I'll suggest Darklord of Derkholm, by Dianne Wynn Jones (likely speeled wrong), it is fantasy, but the book itself is rather different so it should be affected by your burn out response.

Remove ads