• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was your favorite 1e/2e magic item?

Nebulous

Legend
Deck of Many Things and Bag of Tricks. I still have the one printed in Dragon magazine that i cut out and laminated. I made my own Bag of Tricks (rat, dog, lion, etc.) and still have the Crown Royal bag they're in. I should update that thing to 4e.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
My most memorable character in 1e/2e was a cleric of Lathander armed with a Helm of Alignment change. They had infinite charges back then.

God of New Beginnings - Helm of Alignment Change, it worked great.

markkat

First Post
Deck of Many Things.

The Void and Donjon in bold. Ruin, Idiot, Fool? -A game that wasn't afraid to treat you character like the piece of paper he was!

Mephistopheles

First Post
As a player: Boots of Striding and Springing
As a DM: Bag of Devouring
Honourable mention: Heward's Mystical Organ (so easy to misinterpret what this item is the first time you see it in the list)

grodog

Hero
Among my standard favorites:
- cloak of displacement
- ring of contrariness
- cloak of the bat
- rod of lordly might
- sphere of annihilation
- nearly all of the artifacts & relics
- arrow of slaying
- robe of the archmagi
- cube of force
- periapt of proof against poison
- scarab of protection (the double-whammy uncursed version, of course!)

My favorite homebrew magic item:

Naladamar (my equivalent of Stormbringer: an intelligent CE vampire sword forged by Orucs which gradually addicted it's wielder to life energy levels and turned him/her into a vampire)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Wand of Wonder is definitely up there, especially when my Wild Wizard found one. The Deck of Many Things was so evil... we got so greedy that we wished for a deck with all the bad cards missing, and got it. Lovely times.

Still, though, my favourite item will always be the Sunsword. They way it looks, the rules that govern its use, the effects it has on evil creatures... the weapon is just plain awesome.

Oh, yes, and the Rod of Splendor, especially when given to a poor farmer down on his luck.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
- rod of lordly might
- deck of many things
- arrows of slaying
- figurines of wondrous power
- sphere of annihilation

Remove ads