D&D Movie/TV What will make more money DADHAT or BG3?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I saw someone make an estimate of $200,000,000usd for BG3, don't know how accurate that is. DADHAT cost 150,000,000usd.
$200 million for a big AAA game is pretty normal these days, and BG3 clearly has a lot of resources that have gone into it (manpower, acting talent, marketing, etc...).

Pretty sure it will do fine.

The more interesting question is will it do Teara of the Kingdom money...? My bet is, no.

Oofta

Legend
Gross or net? Money for whom? In what timeframe?

Tesla's stock is worth a lot, is this a sign that HAT should have been an electric car rather than a movie?

Well now that you mention it ...
download.jpg

$200 million for a big AAA game is pretty normal these days, and BG3 clearly has a lot of resources that have gone into it (manpower, acting talent, marketing, etc...).

Pretty sure it will do fine.

The more interesting question is will it do Teara of the Kingdom money...? My bet is, no.

How much money did Tears of the Kingdom make?

nevin

Hero
I know its not a fair compareson, but I'm still curious.

DADHAT made $274,000,000cad ($208,000,000usd) at the box office, but we don't know how many DVD sales it had or how to gage the value to brought in terms of subscribers and ads revenue to Paramount+.

BG3 on the other hand had sold 2 to 5 million copies of BG3 according to Steam Spy, BEFORE the Bear Sex. At $80cad per sale that is $160,000,000cad to $400,000,000cad on steam alone, not countng consoles or GoG (don't know if it counts Mac), and the game hasn't even left EA yet!

According to Steam Spy DOS2 had 5 to 10 million of sales, if BG3 matches the high end of that, your looking at $800,000,000cad. If BG3 doubles that, as it appears to be already far more fameous, we're looking at $1,600,000,000cad, that well over a billion and half game, rivalling Hogwarts Legacy, maybe Tears of the Kingdom as well.

Either way it seems clear BG3 is the winner, winner chicken dinner.

So that leaves the question should DADHAT have been more adult focused then family friendly? Should Doric have taken one for the team and give DADHAT bear sex with Simon?
problem is BG is a AAA title. No official numbers have been released but I watched video that analyzed average cost of studio's by developer and took the number of actual develoopers on the job and came up with a figure of 100 million dollars to develop over the time it's been in development. Add to that the marketing and other costs and It'll take a lot more than 5 million copies to even break even. but when you add the marketing costs for DADHAT it's still in the hole so any profit at all past 200 million assuming ancillary costs for triple a title games are in the same ballpark as movies will beat D&D. I have no doubt BG3 will generate a profit. I don't think it will be enough to make the studio want to try again. Tripple AAA games are usually expected to make 100's of millions over the cost and I don't think they'll clear 50.

Remove ads