• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What would you put in monster manual 2?

S

Sunseeker

I'd like to see some monsters that can reasonably be encountered at all levels. Yes yes bounded accuracy blah blah...that's not what I mean. I mean a sort of monster that you could reasonably run into multiple times and still remain interesting across the levels.

Also: Beasts! Lots and lots of beasts! I would like to be able to run a game without having to throw a mystical menagire at my players.

Last edited:

Benji

First Post
Traps and terrain.

There's enough for combat pillar, we need more exploration pillar.

That's...actually a really good idea.

The better question for me is, "what, if they put it in a Monster Manual 2, would actually prompt you to buy the book?" And that's a tough one. Frankly, nothing comes to mind.

It's really interesting that a lot of people have replied with this or similar. From reading posts on the site up until now I assumed the prevailing desire was for a MM2 (or something better named). Maybe that's about how people talk about product or react to posts, but not at all what I was expecting.

I would agree that I'd like to see new content as well, just wondered what blasts from the past/new creatures people'd like. Also, I think the 'better question' was kind of implied in my question but I'm arguing semantics.

Ribbing aside... I can't think of what monsters I would actually want to see in a Monster Manual 2. Most of the monster on my mind right now all belong in a book titled Creature Collection because they are Scarred Lands monsters, not general-use monsters.

Man those books were good. My players still fear siege undead & fatlings. I'm still trying to work out how to get and adventure with Time Twins in it.

+1 for tougher monsters, and more tactically interesting ones. We got plenty of "Sack of Hit Points, AC of 10+1d4, and an axe" in MM1. They can branch out a bit more now. More Legendary versions of iconic/classic monsters would be nice. I was going to throw a Chimera at the party the other day, then realized I'd need about 3 to make them sweat.

In terms of creatures, there's plenty to cull from prior editions. Planescape and Ravenloft had multiple monstrous compendium entries in 2nd edition I wouldnt mind seeing updated. They might want to handle Darksun creatures on their own after they hammer out psionics.

Monsters are the fun kind of bloat!

Keeblrkid

First Post
A Monster Manual II is definitely one of the purchases I am waiting to make. I may only use a tiny percentage of the creatures, but I am a lore junkie, and love reading up on the creatures.

The 5e Monster Manual has done a fantastic job of inspiring me to use monsters that classically I would have never used. So, the concept of a second book which keeps that trend going is exciting to me.

My 5 monsters would be as follows:

Lesser and Greater Elementals - I know it is an uninspired desire to have these bad boys added to the repository of monsters, as they are easy to build yourself. However, I would love to have the option to more easily make elementals into minions, mooks, and serious threats across a wider level range. Hopefully with this addition to the monster manual we would also get para-, quasi-, and various other odd elementals added to our repository.

Inevitables - I love these guys. I love them a lot, and would love to see them in 5th.

Sidhe - We need more fey, and more specifically I need more fey. Having some upper level fey threats that really make the party think twice before entering the woods is the stuff that storytelling is made of.

Atropal - Man.... have you seen this thing. Why would a DM use this? I mean seriously. Yikes. I would love to answer that myself in my 5e game.

Boggles/ and Banderhobbs - Banderhobbs is my number one monster I want, but OP already claimed them. So, I tacked on Boggles as well. These are the two monsters that made my players fall in love with my 4e campaign and I would love to see how 5e would tweek their lore, and abilities.

Jediking

Explorer
-More and tougher Fey creatures, they seemed to get the short stick in the MM.

-Creatures that pose a puzzle or need a knack to defeat, not just bags of HP and resistances. A Clockwork Golem that needs to be disassembled, or a three-headed Chimera that can be provoked to argue with itself.

-Templates: Zombies, Awakened (Awoken?), special Diseased, Divine Avatar, Elemental, etc.

-More options for existing groups of creatures. Alchemist Goblins, Quartermaster Hobgoblin, God-Shaped Kua-toa

-Never enough NPCs. Army General, Guild Leaders (Thief, Assassin, Merchant), High Bishop.

Well, in general, more mid- to high-CR critters.

Specifically...

The ixitch... ixcich... Those evil manta-like creatures.

Catastrophic and plague dragons, which were some of 4E's greatest creations. (We can go back to calling the plague dragons linnorms if people prefer; I just want them.)

And I'm blanking now, but I know there were several others that I'd love to see.

I prefer the name Fiend Folio.

There's a lot of name monsters that aren't included. Anything that was in the 3e SRD but didn't make the cut, followed by higher level threats. The classics that have also been updated three or four times would be nice.

Halivar

First Post
I'd like to see some monsters that can reasonably be encountered at all levels. Yes yes bounded accuracy blah blah...that's not what I mean. I mean a sort of monster that you could reasonably run into multiple times and still remain interesting across the levels.
"You fools, this isn't even my final form!!!"

Remove ads