D&D 3E/3.5 Whats a good Core 3.5 Barbarian Build? (ongoing campaign)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The Feat Rogue would compensate somehow wasting a Feat, he basically gets a Bonus Feat every uneven lvl. Getting 3 lvl would give me 2 Feats, oh and evasion, with light/no armor.

Just to clarify, since I used to think this way to. It's actually better than that. You actually get bonus feats as a Fighter would. So, it's not replacing the levels you get sneak attack (ie, a feat at 1, 3, 5, etc...), it's actually the same progression a Fighter gets -- levels 1, 2, 4, 6, etc...

Which means two things:
1) You're basically a level ahead in terms of feats at all times compared to how you were picturing it.
2) There's basically no reason when dipping feat rogue to end on an odd level (other than 1, I suppose)...sort of like Fighter. I like to go to 4 and pick up Evasion and Uncanny Dodge myself. Along with 3 bonus feats.

radha2g

First Post
Hence why Ranger/Barbarian multiclasses are a favorite of mine.

and how will that go to get an idea.
TWF?
learn any spell or just get endurance?

Just to clarify, since I used to think this way to. It's actually better than that. You actually get bonus feats as a Fighter would. So, it's not replacing the levels you get sneak attack (ie, a feat at 1, 3, 5, etc...), it's actually the same progression a Fighter gets -- levels 1, 2, 4, 6, etc...

Which means two things:
1) You're basically a level ahead in terms of feats at all times compared to how you were picturing it.
2) There's basically no reason when dipping feat rogue to end on an odd level (other than 1, I suppose)...sort of like Fighter. I like to go to 4 and pick up Evasion and Uncanny Dodge myself. Along with 3 bonus feats.

Wait, wait, the Feat Rogue learns Feat exactly like the Fighter does? Thats even better! I thought he learned Feats at the same lvl as the Sneak Attack. This almost kills the fighter class, if not for the a little better BAB and better fort. Oh and the proficiency... this does save him.

Aaah, but forget about the Feat Rogue. Sounds to convenient to make an exception to the rules (will try however).

Most likely I will go past lvl 5 barb cuz of the HD, so I should get Improved Uncanny Dodge with the Barb. Im aiming for Indomitable Will (Barb lvl14) or at least Greater Rage (Barb lvl11).

Last edited:

Andras

Explorer
I played a Human Barbarian up to about 18th level, I took Barb 11, Ftr 2, Occult Slayer 5.

The Occult Slayer has good magical defenses, esp Mind Blank and spell turning.

WFocus
Imp Init
Power Attack
Cleave
Leap Attack
Extra Rage
Mad Foam Rager
Improved Critical

Are you locked into Dwarf? You can do some ridiculous tricks with a Goliath Barbarian plus Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6. Mountain Rage (Races of Stone) makes you actually large while raging, so if you had a reach weapons (Spiked Chain) you can hit things 20' away and knock them into walls with Knockback. Shocktrooper is just gravy at that point. You end up doing 10d6+4.5x Str mod if they hit a wall. Actually, if you took 3 levels of the PrC StoneBlessed (Goliath) in RoStone, you can take Mountain rage if you are a Dwarf. Fighter 6, SB 3, Barb X

Last edited:

radha2g

First Post
Got new info... No prestige class, but we are allowed to take base class from other books. The rouge in the party is now a lvl1 swashbuckler. Also, if the DM allows it, I could also take some sort of variant class. A player mentioned about the Totems, but since I was lvl2 i already had fast movement and uncanny dodge, so i can't take a barbarian variant.

I dont know if this changes things that much... i am looking at the base classes from others books but it dont think theres something better than Ranger3/Fighter2/Barb15. It seems like a nice idea to use two-weapon when not allowed to use full attack.

Thx Dandu for the idea. The only thing i dont like much is the limitation to light armor. Guess is a chain shirt for now, till we advance and gain more money.

doramide7

First Post
is it even worth it to continue as a barbarian?

i could just go fighter from now on...
lower HP, and no damage reduction but gains more feats... is a matter of choice i know

not sure, but maybe ill go this way

and lets say i were allowed to take ONLY 1 prestige class... still very limited for most of the barbarians build i saw, but what would be good options?
Honestly? I'd avoid more than 2 levels in fighter unless you're going to be a dungeoncrasher, in which case you take no more than 6.

Barbarians get actual class features, fighters do not.

Remove ads