What's a good high-charisma build? Or, can Bards be useful?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'm looking to start a new character, a high charisma character. Most of my characters are combat machines with an 8 Cha so I'm not experienced at building with charisma.

What works best for high charisma builds? Is Sor/Cleric/Mystic Theurge viable? How about a Sor/Pal, or Sor/Cleric? Or straight up Bard?

Speaking of Bard... has anyone been able to put one to good use, in game?

-z

FrankTrollman

First Post
What works best for high charisma builds?

Paladins. The class stops getting getting abilities after about level 5 which is plenty of time to take a PrC or three. You can go far as a Paladin.

Alternately: Clerics. You can max out a turning based character fairly easily - and with the elemental domains you can be followed around with quite a stack of monsters - which are dragged around based on hit dice, and not something balanced like CR.

Is Sor/Cleric/Mystic Theurge viable?

No. Imagine for a second that you were taking Sorcerer - a class which gets its new powerful spells one level later for no damned reason at all. Now imagine that you were being a Mystic Theurge and delaying your new spell levels by 3 more levels. And then that you needed to balance two sets of skills without a good int bonus.

The Wizard/Cleric MyTh is jacked on synnergy in many ways (so much so that the often quoted 20th level MyTh who casts as a 17th level Wizard and a 13th level Cleric would actually have more Clerical spells by just taking three more levels of Wizard and using his extra spell slots on Summon Monster to get Celestials who cast Cleric Spells) - the Sorcerer/Cleric MyTh gets punched in the balls even more.

How about a Sor/Pal, or Sor/Cleric?
Multiclassing Spellcasters = Suck. That's been true since 3rd edition came out and nothing has broken that rule. Ever.

Or straight up Bard?

Assuming the 3.5 rulesset, the Bard is pretty decent at low level. You have a lower BAB, but you can sing in combat to maintain your to-hit bonus and assist the rest of the party. Unfortunately, 3.5 has punished the Perform Skill heavily and still doesn't give Bards anything worthwhile to do at high level so the character is going to become boring to play and frustratingly underpowered if you intend to go past about 8th level.

Yeah. In low level play - the 3.5 Bard is entertaining and just powerful enough that the other players won't beat you to death for being useless in combat and quite powerful outside of combat.

3.5 nerfed Perform, so you'll have to choose whether you play an instrument (which can be done while casting spells), or sing (which can be done while fighting). That makes all bards fit into two categories and makes them frustratingly similar later in play.

-Frank

Particle_Man

Explorer
Whatever you do, I suggest you max out diplomacy. Depending on your DM, you can get combat ending results on a high score.

Note that half-elf bards do well here, as all the synergy granting skills are class skills.

DM_Matt

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
I'm looking to start a new character, a high charisma character. Most of my characters are combat machines with an 8 Cha so I'm not experienced at building with charisma.

What works best for high charisma builds? Is Sor/Cleric/Mystic Theurge viable? How about a Sor/Pal, or Sor/Cleric? Or straight up Bard?

-z

I built a fun Eldritch Knight faceman character once. Ranger1 then Sorc6 then EK. The EK needs a level of a fighter class, so I chose ranger one for a huge head start on skill points, and favored enemy human, which gives +2 on bluff, sense motive, spot, and listen v humans. At low levels hes as good a face as any, and a decent fighter mage, and then the magey goodness eventually kicks in. Ray spells like the very powerful scorching ray are particularly nice beucase you have a good Bab.

Zaruthustran

Thanks Frank. This is good info.

FrankTrollman said:
Alternately: Clerics. You can max out a turning based character fairly easily - and with the elemental domains you can be followed around with quite a stack of monsters - which are dragged around based on hit dice, and not something balanced like CR.

How do elemental domains get you stacks of monsters? The rebuking? I don't see much in the way of summoning spells.

How would you max a turning cleric (28 point buy)? What domains do you like? I figure for a high Cha cleric, Trickery might be a good choice.

Multiclassing Spellcasters = Suck. That's been true since 3rd edition came out and nothing has broken that rule. Ever.

What about just a level or three of Sor, to get Enlarge Person, Buffs, Blindness? I guess it'd make more sense to build a paladin or holy liberator, then take Leadership and recruit a real sorcerer.

Assuming the 3.5 rulesset, the Bard is pretty decent at low level. You have a lower BAB, but you can sing in combat to maintain your to-hit bonus and assist the rest of the party. Unfortunately, 3.5 has punished the Perform Skill heavily and still doesn't give Bards anything worthwhile to do at high level so the character is going to become boring to play and frustratingly underpowered if you intend to go past about 8th level.

Yeah. In low level play - the 3.5 Bard is entertaining and just powerful enough that the other players won't beat you to death for being useless in combat and quite powerful outside of combat.

3.5 nerfed Perform, so you'll have to choose whether you play an instrument (which can be done while casting spells), or sing (which can be done while fighting). That makes all bards fit into two categories and makes them frustratingly similar later in play.

-Frank

Same general question as cleric: do you have any favorite bard builds? I was thinking something like:
Human
Str 10 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 8 Cha 16
1. Negotiator, Improved Initiative
3. Spell Focus: Enchantment
6. ?

He sings, so he uses a shield and whip in combat to Aid Other.

-z

Zaruthustran

DM_Matt said:
I built a fun Eldritch Knight faceman character once. Ranger1 then Sorc6 then EK. The EK needs a level of a fighter class, so I chose ranger one for a huge head start on skill points, and favored enemy human, which gives +2 on bluff, sense motive, spot, and listen v humans. At low levels hes as good a face as any, and a decent fighter mage, and then the magey goodness eventually kicks in. Ray spells like the very powerful scorching ray are particularly nice beucase you have a good Bab.

Good idea--I hadn't thought about the Ranger bonus to bluff. My current character is a ranger though, so I want to stay away from that particular class.
-z

Thanee

First Post
If you are going to make a charisma-based character you might want to check the Contemplative PrC and the Mysticism Prestige Domain (even as a non-cleric). That one is pretty nice (grants the Cha bonus to saves ability of the Paladin).

As a Cleric or Sorcerer in the Forgotten Realms, you could be interested in the Heartwarder PrC (F&P), if your patron deity is Sune. It grants a +5 inherent bonus to Cha over time.

High skills in Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate and/or Use Magic Device would be a good idea as well.

You could also play a Rogue/Spymaster (S&S) for example with a high charisma.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
About the Bards, yes they are useful (definitely more useful than Monks ;)) and I have seen some in games. Great support character.

Focusing on either ranged attacks (as an elven bard) or swashbuckling (finessed rapier), they can be quite decent in combat, with all their spells. They have useful healing abilities and the Inspire Courage song is a big help for everyone!

In addition they have very decent skills, basically only lacking Disarm Device, Open Lock and Spot compared to the Rogue.

Bye
Thanee

Kae'Yoss

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
No. Imagine for a second that you were taking Sorcerer - a class which gets its new powerful spells one level later for no damned reason at all. Now imagine that you were being a Mystic Theurge and delaying your new spell levels by 3 more levels. And then that you needed to balance two sets of skills without a good int bonus.

I disagree. The one level you lag behind more than a wiz/clr isn't that bad. Also, both classes can make something out of charisma, and the skillsets aren't that different - knowledge (arcana), knowledge (religion), spellcraft, concentration. The only thing that isn't in both classes is the knowledge (religion) - and you do get it with mystic theurge. Sure, clr/wiz is more streamlined, but only munchkins take but the optimal choices.
The Wizard/Cleric MyTh is jacked on synnergy in many ways (so much so that the often quoted 20th level MyTh who casts as a 17th level Wizard and a 13th level Cleric would actually have more Clerical spells by just taking three more levels of Wizard and using his extra spell slots on Summon Monster to get Celestials who cast Cleric Spells) - the Sorcerer/Cleric MyTh gets punched in the balls even more.
Of course you have to give something up to ge BOTH stuff. I don't even allow to unbalance the class levels in that way -> no wiz7/clr3/mt10. I allow the class only if the player agrees on keeping it even more or less. But while you might give up some of the most powerful spells, you do gain both brands of magic. You have good elemental attack spells, good save-or-die-spells good protections, good utility....

If you mean a clr/wiz character, it is right more or less, although I believe the mystic theurge did break that rules. But spellcaster/nonspellcaster can be quite effective.
Bards can be a good choice up to 20th and beyond. Don't expect to be the best in anything (except social skills), but you are still decent in most things.
Maybe his party isn't a bunch of munchkins and likes to have some party member with uses outside of combat. And he's not useless in combat, either...
Or you just take both. This leaves you another skillpoint from the recent increase from 4 to 6, which can be put into yet another perform skill, or a knowledge skill, or anything else. Besides, there are quite a lot of instruments, and quite a lot of ways to use you voice, so there is variety in there. After all, the fighter is also only someone who uses a weapon.

Zaruthustran said:

Sor/Clr/Mt: should work. Don't expect to be best in any kind of magic (that's not what being multiclass is all about, anyway), but you will have access to most spells. Both classes can use charisma (although your turning isn't that good with as few cleric levels as you have) and noone said you couldn't have a decent Int stat, too, for skills (this build is a pure spellcaster, not a combat caster as you find with clerics often. But on the other hand, you can get both divine power and tenser's transformation eventually). Be a buffer and spellslinger.

For ultimate synergy of charisma, you might want to become a sorcerer/shugenja/mystic theurge....;)

Sor/Clr: Wouldn't do that. You just lose to much. While the mystic theurge will lessen the loss you get from multiclassing (and make it a good choice after all), you will lag way behind here.

Sor/Pal: Try to talk your DM into loosing the multiclass restrictions of the paladin. But this build should work, too. Pal12/Sor8 is nice cause you get 4 attacks eventually. Concentrate on buff spells, and other spells that help you in melee. Look up the bladesinger spell list for pointers (found in RoF, Blood and Tome or the free web enhancement of the latter)

Bard: This is another good choice. The charisma will work for your spells, for your performance, and for a lot of your skills. You will probably be the most effective character outside of combat (and that is what having high charisma is all about) and be a good addition to the party in combat. You won't be best in anything - besides negotiating and the like - but you will be decent in anything you do. You can focus on one thing or do several things at once. You will be able to accomplish something on your own, and you will be the front of the party, and if you already have the 4 monster food types (fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue), the bard is the ideal addition to the party. And you are really good in Use Magic Device.

You have forgotten one build: The Rogue! They also get much out of charisma. Expect to be a skill user first and foremost, but with a maxed out bluff (and Combat Expertise and Improved Feint), you can sneak attack almost anyone, even without sneaking or flanking. And don't underestimate the power of a character with the focus outside of battle: the pen can be more powerful than the sword, and your mouth can outclass both! Take the two feats described above and Weapon Finesse, and you're effective enough in combat. You may want to multiclass into bard. Either way, you can also Use Magic Device.

If you want (and are allowed) to play nonstandard races, consider the fey'ri for your rogue built! With your inherent ability to change your shape, your skills and a decent charisma, you will be a great spy and infiltrator. And the daemonic abilities you get help you further.

Remove ads