• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what's a great steampunk campaign (system doesn't matter)?

haqattaqq

Villager
what's a great steampunk campaign (system doesn't matter)? I'm looking to start a new steampunk campaign with a new group and I can adapt the campaign to whatever rules system most of us know (and that's close to the system it's designed for).

Thanks!

Space 1889 (a game set in a Victorian Age in which space travel has become a posibility, and in which the planets are modeled after the old idea that they were all similar to Earth but in different stages of living and geological development) includes a few adventures within its handbook, one set in the Moon against the Selenites, another set in Venus against the Germans, and another set in Mars regarding British colonialism and the local bat-men of the Martian Canals.

The system is very simple, so they are very easy to adapt to another game.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The question I need to answer for myself, is how much steampunk is enough to be included, but not the emphasis of a given setting? I am working on an Old West Gothic Horror setting for Pathfinder, which would include some steampunk elements.

I am sure some availability of airships is necessary. I am already including steam trains (but those were real and not so much steampunk). I do have the idea of creating a full deck plan of a Mississippi Paddlewheel Riverboat - also thinking by attaching a diregible above it would allow the riverboat to travel up fast-moving, shallow waters so it could serve a much wider area out west, where rivers aren't necessarily that deep - at least not deep enough for a large riverboat's needed draft.

I'm really not a fan of steampunk, but in a gothic old west setting, some elements do belong.

Thoughts?

Back to the OP, I don't know how the game runs, but I created maps for FASA Games 1879 setting, which required me to create an airship map with 3 decks.

There's also the upcoming Stormbunny Studios Rhune setting which is viking steampunk - I did 6 maps for that setting as well, but I don't think its been released yet.

Last edited:

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
Are you wanting a scripted campaign to follow or a setting to build your own story on top of?

Deadlands is a wild west horror setting with lot's of steampunk elements. It's very comprehensive with multiple plot point campaigns and adventures to choose from. Shattered Skies is another good one with a more fantasy/steampunk mix. Both are for Savage Worlds, which is fast and easy to learn and cheap ($10 for the rulebook).

haqattaqq

Villager
I'm looking for a scripted campaign, not just a setting. It sounds like deadlands/shattered skies are settings?

I think it's interesting that there are a fair number of steampunk rpgs and almost no full campaigns... maybe most people want to write their own campaigns, but I'm looking for someone else to do the heavy lifting for me :).

Remove ads