What's The Deal With D&D Translations?

Over the last year or so, the question of translations of D&D 5E into foreign languages has arisen from time to time. Sites like Hobby Japan have stated that WotC indicated that no D&D translations would be permitted, although very recently that site was apparently given permission to do translate the Basic Rules (more on that below), and today a petition was created by a German fan asking for translated books.

Over the last year or so, the question of translations of D&D 5E into foreign languages has arisen from time to time. Sites like Hobby Japan have stated that WotC indicated that no D&D translations would be permitted, although very recently that site was apparently given permission to do translate the Basic Rules (more on that below), and today a petition was created by a German fan asking for translated books.

flags.jpg

This was Hobby Japan's announcement back in July 2014.

AN IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT "D&D NEXT"
Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Dungeons & Dragons (D&D).

Since January of 2013, we have been engaging in promotional activities, primarily through "Table Game Channel", on the assumption of making the transtion from D&D 4th Edition to D&D Next. However, Wizards of the Coast, the publisher of D&D, has decided to sell only English versions of D&D Next, and not put out a license for translations. This applies not only to Japan, but all non-English language regions.
As a result, we cannot release a Japanese version of D&D Next.
We deeply apologize that we can meet the expectations of everyone who was looking forward to a Japanese version of D&D Next.

As a company, we will wait for an opportunity to do the translation, taking in account the possiblity that Wizards of the Coast may change their policy, but we must announce here that for the time being, there is no plan to publish Japanese versions of D&D Next merchandise.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank everyone who has supported the Japanese versions of D&D over the 10 years since the Japanese release of D&D 3rd Edition.

Eiji Nakabayashi
Game Development Department
Hobby Japan, Inc.

WotC's Chris Perkins shortly thereafter clarified this, by saying "We want to adopt a plan that makes it possible for us to deliver new releases in multiple languages at the same time. That requires a lot of work on our end, and also likely ties into digital publishing."

Last week, Masaki Yanagida in Japan dropped me a note with the latest translation news from Japan.

As we know, Wizards of the Coast has not granted a translation license of the D&D 5th for other than English, yet. But Japanese D&D gamers obtained permission to publish the Basic Rules for D&D (Japanese version) on the Hobby Japan's D&D Suport page.

This translation made by volunteer who played D&D at D&D Adventure League (JapanRegion). Our regional coordinator and HJ's Staffs requested this permission to the WotC, and they gave it.

Player's rules comes first (PDF), and Dungeon Masters rules are in preparation now.

Some geek news sites picked up this news. And announced that, there is no plan to release a Japanese version of D&D 5th, but volunteer has translated free rules which is published at WotC site. So you can get this translation for free at HJ's D&D Site. Comments on this news shows that, not only active gamers but also retired gamers are
interested in this New D&D.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/newsclip/20150930_723372.html

http://www.4gamer.net/games/319/G031949/20151001001/

If D&D5th translated and sell legally, more Japanese gamers will return gameshop,play the D&D, and purchase the D&D. We hope the WotC to grant translation license of D&D for local publisher.

I think, this accomplishment will encourage all other non-English gamers demanding for translated D&D.

And just today, Info Kiem from Germany started a petition on Change.org, asking WotC to translate D&D into other languages.

With 5th Edition, Wizards of the Coast has dropped all partnerships with local publishers and stopped all foreign-language editions of the game. It may not be reflected by the sales numbers, but D&D needs a proper localization. Most dedicated players may still buy the English rulebooks, but there are always players at the table, especially younger ones, that need a translation. Other RPGs are translated, all previous editions of D&D were, why not this one? If we rally up support here, maybe we can change somebody's mind at Wizards of the Coast.

Translate the 5th Edition rulebooks!

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
It was the very casual and careless way in which you reproduced a harmful stereotype that makes a mockery of my identity and makes me feel less welcome in this community. And the uncaring way in which you cling on to it. The overall attitude makes me feel unsafe here and having to explain why doesn't make it less awkward. -There is also something that happened last week that has nothing to do with you, but it only shows how systematic and invisible this is to most everybody in here- I'm not really offended, just sad ad hurt.

Soy hispano, (mitad Boricua).

Its called humor, not stereotype amiga, relax and play D&D.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
umm, well I really didn't want to derail the thread. Go back to it I guess... (Thanks to everybody who showed support you made me feel better)

Um yes, I don't really want a Spanish version of the game, game translations to Spanish -beyond standalones- are usually very clumsy. There are just too many ways to say the same thing in Spanish -and only a few are idiomatic- it can be a nightmare, even followups by the same company show wildly different names for the same stuff, and the prevalence of blind-idiot translation can be jarring. Add to it the differences in translation traditions between Spain and Latin America -Spain: lets translate everything, use as little neologisms/anglicisms as possible -LA: Let's keep some anglicisms. Invent funny words for what is awkward, overall: just translate word by word without checking beyond the second dictionary entry.

Having said that, I would love to have the chance to get German and Japanese versions of the books.

Scorpio616

First Post
I'm afraid that money is the issue, but not in the way we are considering it.
Let's say that WotC/D&D division must meet a 10M $ revenue goal.
Let's say that they know that the Core books translated in German would sell a grand total of 30k copies, each generating 3$ of revenues for WotC/D&D = 90k $.
Uhm, that's not good.
Let's say that they guess that they could sell 10k copies of the english version of the Core books to German customers, each for an average 40$ price = 400k $.
WAY BETTER

Ok this is hypothetical, but if they are struggling to meet a budget, it is a sound business decision.

This could anyway be mixed with a policy to translate the Basic rules to drive new customers in the business, anyway.
Oh I think you are dead on the money. That's exactly how bean counters look at a situation like this. The Face Guys say "We want D&D for everybody!" but none of the Numbers Guys want to look like they lost $1,000,000 potential dollars to make $90,000 actual dollars of licencing, to use your hypothetical values.

Am I the only one who's used Spanish on this thread?!? ;-)

Al parecer sí.

I'm from NM....not a native Spanish speaker, however. I took your comment as I think it was intended--that a WotC translation could likely end badly....if that helps! I have no idea how someone would feel threatened here.*

Total aside, some of the best damned gaming blogs out there are from south of the border.

*angry, annoyed, or irritated, sure....but threatened....did not see that one. Okay, noted.

Remove ads

Remove ads