• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's This Mysterious D&D Book? [UPDATED!]

As long as it's not 5.5...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They have been adamant about not doing any major revisions to the PHB. They won’t be changing downtime. And it’s unlikely they redo the index.

The one revision I would ask for would call for an entire new layout - having the whole thing in a *slightly* larger font. I'm not getting any younger, but I don't wear bifocals yet, and that type is just ... so tiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

fjw70

Adventurer
The one revision I would ask for woudl call for an entire new layout - having the whole thing in a *slightly* larger font. I'm not getting any younger, but I don't wear bifocals yet, and that type is just ... so tiny.

I hear you, except I am avoiding any type of glasses rather than bifocals. That is why most of reading is done on my iPad these days.

Those special edition covers look awesome, can't wait to add these to my collection....I've been fortunate so far in that my FLGS gets all the special edition covers in and sells them without any markup.

Like others said in between your post and mine, the regular cover and the special cover are sold for the exact same price, just that the special cover versions are only available to buy initially from brick-and-mortar game stores. For stores here in the US marking them up above MSRP, that is frowned on by WotC, from what I remember reading before. I cannot remember where I saw it, but I am pretty sure I saw comments by WotC that if a game store was doing that, they could lose their preferred status if it is reported and proven to be true. There is nothing stopping individuals buying copies and marking them up on Amazon or eBay or wherever else, but the stores are not supposed to do this. This includes larger physical stores who also have their own webstore for internet sales.

delericho

Legend
If they're doing revised versions of all three, then my wish list is slightly longer...

PHB: As noted, a better index. Oh, and incorporate the errata, of course.

DMG: This is the book that could do with the most work, IMO. I'm not asking for any rules changes, but there are quite a few of the systems (notably creating monsters) that would really benefit from a rewrite for clarity.

MM: Nope, pretty happy with this one. Of course, the errata would need applied. Otherwise, if I were to buy the new PHB and DMG, I'd buy a new MM as well to complete the set.

If all these new books have is a new cover (and perhaps new interior art), then I'm afraid I'm not interested - it's too much money to not get a more useful product.

Tome

Explorer
The bottom left corner of the first image looks like the “Spelljammer” logo. Makes sense since it’s been rumored.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I wonder how many players there are out there who are going to buy these new books just for the variant cover art even though they still have their originals... but then continue complaining about having to buy their Player's Handbook "again" in D&D Beyond? ;)

I know for me that if I was going to spend more money on the core books, I'd buy them for D&D Beyond before ever just getting a variant cover. Heh heh.

I wonder how many players there are out there who are going to buy these new books just for the variant cover art even though they still have their originals... but then continue complaining about having to buy their Player's Handbook "again" in D&D Beyond? ;)
This comment just won the internet for me. I may steal it. :p

Mercule

Adventurer
The one revision I would ask for woudl call for an entire new layout - having the whole thing in a *slightly* larger font. I'm not getting any younger, but I don't wear bifocals yet, and that type is just ... so tiny.
I gave up and bought reading glasses a couple years ago. The biggest use for them is at the gaming table, whether board or RPG. So, I'd go for a larger font, but not at the cost of the same page count for future books.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
If all these new books have is a new cover (and perhaps new interior art), then I'm afraid I'm not interested - it's too much money to not get a more useful product.
I think you can rest assured that all the errata will be included. I wouldn't count on much else though.

Its conceivable that they might be working on a new round of errata that incorporates a few actual design revisions, but I'd be surprised.

Remove ads

Remove ads