Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

"Everything is essential" ties into the theme of weave/tapestry which is clearly essential in the books. Loose a thread and everything unravels.

Not so good for a TV show though. It already suffers from too many characters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Everything is essential" ties into the theme of weave/tapestry which is clearly essential in the books. Loose a thread and everything unravels.

Not so good for a TV show though. It already suffers from too many characters.
Yeah, after my latest reread and contemplating the TV show I just don't thinkntuat a fully proper live action adaptas tion is even possible.

I think a very high episode count cartoon could work.

But changing stuff in Wheel of Time early one has major knock on effects. It is really shocking how the books seem to be meandering, but...everything really does tie together tightly in the end. Pull ine string...

Yeah, after my latest reread and contemplating the TV show I just don't thinkntuat a fully proper live action adaptas tion is even possible.

I think a very high episode count cartoon could work.

But changing stuff in Wheel of Time early one has major knock on effects. It is really shocking how the books seem to be meandering, but...everything really does tie together tightly in the end. Pull ine string...
It’s one of the strengths of the book series that it has so many subplots that have payoffs much, much later.

TheSword

Legend
One of the things the books - with all that meandering - do is to reinforce over and over again some basic world beliefs. Things like the hunt for horn of Valere being this world-wide phenomenon with epic poems and festivals. The idea that male channellers are all tainted, destroyed the world and the Dragon was the next closest thing to the Dark One. The idea that the forsaken and the Dark One are bound in Shayol Ghul for all time. The idea that Aes Sedai can’t lie or kill with the one power.

They are imprinted so thoroughly early on that when RJ confront or confounds these ideas as the books progress they really do seem epic. He doesn’t just tell a story, he creates cultures and as anyone who has tried to create a culture in an organization knows - this takes time and repetition. It doesn’t come about through a one line drop in.

I just don’t think a TV series can do that. Though I agree a long cartoon could achieve some of that. Cartoons are often willing to be more meandering and linger on detail in a way that live action won’t - kinda how Attack on Titan sets these cultural norms and then breaks them to great effect. It’s not that TV can’t, it just can’t in a 8-10 episode series.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I'm 3 episodes in to season 2 and yeah I will echo that almost everything is better this season. The acting is more natural, pacing is far better, setpieces actually look worth their cost, costumes are better....its a major improvement.

I did want to note from this episode, when the blonde red isodei (don't remember her name) talks to Matt and lets him go, she commits what I feel is a completely blantant lie. She tells Matt he is unimportant, and she doesn't care where he goes. And then we see her plant is following him with intentions to direct his movements....so clearly she does care where he goes.

Honestly I feel like the Isodei in the tv show basically ignore that "cannot lie" rule until they want to make a big show of it. There have been several times I'm like "um...yeah that's a lie".

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'm 3 episodes in to season 2 and yeah I will echo that almost everything is better this season. The acting is more natural, pacing is far better, setpieces actually look worth their cost, costumes are better....its a major improvement.

I did want to note from this episode, when the blonde red isodei (don't remember her name) talks to Matt and lets him go, she commits what I feel is a completely blantant lie. She tells Matt he is unimportant, and she doesn't care where he goes. And then we see her plant is following him with intentions to direct his movements....so clearly she does care where he goes.

Honestly I feel like the Isodei in the tv show basically ignore that "cannot lie" rule until they want to make a big show of it. There have been several times I'm like "um...yeah that's a lie".

That’s Liandrin. Keep watching.

I think it’s worth noting whenever you think an Aes Sedai is lying. Some of them can be very clever with how they phrase their statements. Others, it may mean something else.

The Soloist

Adventurer
Season two is better overall. Never read the books. My wife and I can't relate to any of the characters. They are underdeveloped plot devices, even after 16 hours of screen time... we will keep watching when there is nothing better to watch.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Season two is better overall. Never read the books. My wife and I can't relate to any of the characters. They are underdeveloped plot devices, even after 16 hours of screen time... we will keep watching when there is nothing better to watch.
The show is moving at a breakneck pace compared to the novels: "underdeveloped characterization" is the last thing the books could be accuses of.

hawkeyefan

Legend

That’s the main problem with the show compared to the books. They have to sacrifice a lot of characterization. I think that Moiraine and Lan have gotten a little more than the kids… but caring about the kids is necessary.

Hopefully, they can bring some of that to the fore in the next season.

Remove ads