Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One of the things thst did Robert Jordan in, in terms of finishing, is thst there really aren't any really unimportant characters in the series. Very clear on my recent re-read: every tertiary character plays their part in the pattern.
Yes. I'm not saying that any of them are unimportant. But the books are very clear that if any of the Ta'vern die or fail to do their part, everything fails. It does not say that about Egwene, Elayne or Nynaeve, all of whom are still very important to the story.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes. I'm not saying that any of them are unimportant. But the books are very clear that if any of the Ta'vern die or fail to do their part, everything fails. It does not say that about Egwene, Elayne or Nynaeve, all of whom are still very important to the story.
To be honest, the big change on the show that makes sense to me is to have Nyneave and Egwene also be Ta'vern. Considering what they go through. Even if neither of them is Odin or Tyr or Thor.

Bolares

Hero
To be honest, the big change on the show that makes sense to me is to have Nyneave and Egwene also be Ta'vern. Considering what they go through. Even if neither of them is Odin or Tyr or Thor.
I agree with this completelly. I don't really get why they are not Ta'veren if they are so powerfull and important to the story.

A2Z

Explorer
Did you read the books? What Mat accomplishes dwarfs anything the others did, with the exception of what Rand and Nynaeve did with the one power together, but that was just one thing. Mat did many things. Further, the prophesies said that it all failed if any of the three Ta'Veren did not do their parts. That did not apply to Egwene, Elayne or Nynaeve.

No, it didn't apply to the girls, but I think that's more a factor of being written before the ending was ironed out. And I never said Mat and Perrin weren't important. Without Nynaeve the male half is still tainted. Without Egwene you probably lose half the female channelers in the last battle.

In the end though I don't think you can accurately grade them, it's too subjective. They are all important.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, it didn't apply to the girls, but I think that's more a factor of being written before the ending was ironed out. And I never said Mat and Perrin weren't important. Without Nynaeve the male half is still tainted. Without Egwene you probably lose half the female channelers in the last battle.

In the end though I don't think you can accurately grade them, it's too subjective. They are all important.
And without Mat you don't have anyone to give up half the light of the world to save the world, take out the Gholam, have the capability to win the last battle by ordering all of the armies, affect the Seanchan the way that he did, Rescue Moiraine(though it looks like they are cutting out that story), be the bannerman of the heroes of the horn, etc.

All of them are very important, but I'm sure Rand could have found another channeler to take Nynaeve's spot and who knows what would have happened without Egwene. Someone else would have been making decisions and possibly ones as good or better. What the women did was very important, but all wasn't guaranteed to fail without them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've now read book 1. I don't necessarilly think they amped Elayne down. Her appearance in book 1 was interesting, but what they did with her in this season made her really relevant too.
There are long term consequences Caemlyn not being established earlier. Not dire necessarily, but getting her in earlier would pay off by the end of the series. Too bad they donger more time per Season.

Bolares

Hero
There are long term consequences Caemlyn not being established earlier. Not dire necessarily, but getting her in earlier would pay off by the end of the series. Too bad they donger more time per Season.
Reading the first book I wish they set the middle of the season in Caemlyn instead of Tar Valon. But I guess they wanted to put more weight in the Aes Sedai and the relation between Moiraine and Siuan...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Reading the first book I wish they set the middle of the season in Caemlyn instead of Tar Valon. But I guess they wanted to put more weight in the Aes Sedai and the relation between Moiraine and Siuan...
Yeah, I think that is a decision that will ripple weirdly into the shows future. Ah, well.

Remove ads