Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
5 - Elayne is a princess form a really important nation.
It really is a shame that they didn't get her in the first Season, since she was in Eye of the World and memorably so. In the final analysis, she is one of the 6 main characters of the story: Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Mat, Elayne, and Nyneave (in that order) account for 75% of the Point of Views by word count, and Elayne is well ahead of Nyneave 8.1% of the word count to Nyneave's 6.2%). It would have been better to amp up her early involvement instead of erasing it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It really is a shame that they didn't get her in the first Season, since she was in Eye of the World and memorably so. In the final analysis, she is one of the 6 main characters of the story: Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Mat, Elayne, and Nyneave (in that order) account for 75% of the Point of Views by word count, and Elayne is well ahead of Nyneave 8.1% of the word count to Nyneave's 6.2%). It would have been better to amp up her early involvement instead of erasing it.
Yep, but the word count doesn't give relative importance to the story. For importance the order is Rand, Mat, Perrin, torn between Nynaeve and Egwene next, and last is Elayne.

I can't remember anything that truly needed Elayne to happen. Egwene and her role with the Aes Sedai and as a dreamwalker is pivotal. Nynaeve and her major roles in the story(not giving them away since they haven't happened yet) were pivotal. And of course the three Ta'veren and what they are needed for put them in the top three spots hands down, with Mat having much more importance to the story than Perrin.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, but the word count doesn't give relative importance to the story. For importance the order is Rand, Mat, Perrin, torn between Nynaeve and Egwene next, and last is Elayne.

I can't remember anything that truly needed Elayne to happen. Egwene and her role with the Aes Sedai and as a dreamwalker is pivotal. Nynaeve and her major roles in the story(not giving them away since they haven't happened yet) were pivotal. And of course the three Ta'veren and what they are needed for put them in the top three spots hands down, with Mat having much more importance to the story than Perrin.
Mat's Dragons, the Bowl of the Winds, organizing the Peace of the Dragpn.

And Valen Luca's circus is, like, the while reason to read the gulblamed books.

In literary rather than plot terms, Elayne's inferiority and view of Nyneave intercut with Nyneave's inferiority and view of Elayne is some of the better done character work in the books.

Oh, and Borgetta.

My point is, if the want to change the story, amp Elayne up, not down.

Last edited:

A2Z

Explorer

I'd have to put both Egwene and Nynaeve just after Rand in importance, definitely ahead of Mat and Perrin.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd have to put both Egwene and Nynaeve just after Rand in importance, definitely ahead of Mat and Perrin.

"Here is your flaw, Shaitan, Lord of the Dark, Lord of Envy, Lord of Nothing, here is why you fail. It was not about me. It’s never been about me.”

It was about a woman, torn and beaten down, cast from her throne and made a puppet. A woman who had crawled when she had to. That woman still fought.

It was about a man that love repeatedly forsook. A man who found relevance in a world that others would have let pass them by. A man who remembered stories and who took fool boys under his wing when the smarter move would have been to keep on walking. That man still fought.

It was about a woman with a secret, a hope for the future. A woman who had hunted the truth before others could. A woman who had given her life, then had it returned. That woman still fought.

It was about a man whose family was taken from him, but who stood tall in his sorrow and protected those he could.

It was about a woman who refused to believe that she could not help, could not heal those who had been harmed.

It was about a hero who insisted with every breath that he was anything but a hero.

It was about a woman who would not bend her back while she was beaten, and who shown with a light for all who watched, including Rand.

It was about them all.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Did you read the books? What Mat accomplishes dwarfs anything the others did, with the exception of what Rand and Nynaeve did with the one power together, but that was just one thing. Mat did many things. Further, the prophesies said that it all failed if any of the three Ta'Veren did not do their parts. That did not apply to Egwene, Elayne or Nynaeve.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did you read the books? What Mat accomplishes dwarfs anything the others did, with the exception of what Rand and Nynaeve did with the one power together, but that was just one thing. Mat did many things. Further, the prophesies said that it all failed if any of the three Ta'Veren did not do their parts. That did not apply to Egwene, Elayne or Nynaeve.
One of the things thst did Robert Jordan in, in terms of finishing, is thst there really aren't any really unimportant characters in the series. Very clear on my recent re-read: every tertiary character plays their part in the pattern.

Remove ads