• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did drugs become illegal?

Kesh

First Post
I was watching a History Channel thing on this last week. Apparently, drugs were pretty much unregulated for a long time, as it was seen as too much government interference. Things changed due to racism. Racial violence in the south was blamed on "cocaine induced rage among negroes" and there was a push to outlaw the drug because of that in the late 1800s. Things pretty much rolled on from that point.

Devilkiller

First Post
For other ideas on why drugs might be illegal in your campaign world you could read up on the Opium War. While trading with China, the British found that addictive products like opium sell great and create their own demand. The Chinese government was understandably not amused.

Last edited:

Dogbrain

First Post
s/LaSH said:
Overall, I think that the Victorian USA was the time and place for Vice to be Frowned Upon The Most, real or not. So I'd date most prohibitions as originating, if not in that actual era, then in spirit in that era (law sometimes takes time to flow from the Moral to the Legislators).

Oddly enough, though, that was also an era in which the most respectable of people thought nothing of taking "tonics" that consisted of opiates--and giving these same things to children. Indeed, opiate concoctions were a heavily-used cough medication--often advertised as ideal to give to children. And this was respectable, not like that demon weed.

reanjr

First Post
Dogbrain said:
Not only that, but they used to have coffeehouses wherein intellectuals were permitted to smoke hand-rolled Turkish tobacco cigarettes!

Hey, I can still do that where I live. w00t!!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dogbrain said:
Indeed, opiate concoctions were a heavily-used cough medication--often advertised as ideal to give to children. And this was respectable, not like that demon weed.

Were and still are. Codeine is an alkaloid obtained from opium, and is still widely used as an analgesic and cough suppressant. You need a prescription form a doctor these days, but if you get a bad enough case of bronchitis, you probably wind up taking the stuff.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dogbrain said:
I would hardly call codeine "heavily used".

I broke a collar bone - Tylenol with codeine.
Two separate friends, in different parts of the country, four separate cases of bronchitis, four different doctors - codeine prescribed as a cough suppressant.

Yes, if you're only going over the counter, you don't see codeine. But for prescription, it's reasonably common. Your definition of "heavily" may vary, of course.

Remove ads