When did the Monster Manual 2 become a core book?

Gez

First Post
my haet of woct knows no limit

Watch your spelling! It should be "my haet of woct know no limit" !!!

Or were you trying to slip some grammatical correctness in this archetypal broken sentence, you freak?

Pants

First Post
Gez said:
Watch your spelling! It should be "my haet of woct know no limit" !!!

Or were you trying to slip some grammatical correctness in this archetypal broken sentence, you freak?
I can't even spell incorrectly correctly :eek:

RC Hagy

Explorer
There are many of us that remember the 2e 'you need this' product situation.

As annoying as it is to have them place info from one book in another book (especially when you have said book) it is better than
(almost) forcing a person to purchase a book they did not think they
would need.

'Summon Tempest' Could have been *'Summon Whatever'

*If you have the MM2 replace 'Summon Whatever' with the ability 'Summon Tempest' from page blah, blah, yup ok...

Hagy

Olive

Explorer
RC Hagy said:
'Summon Tempest' Could have been *'Summon Whatever'

*If you have the MM2 replace 'Summon Whatever' with the ability 'Summon Tempest' from page blah, blah, yup ok...

I prefer the other way they do it which is provide a list of core creatures that replace the creatures from alternate books that they've used. Like they do for the FR books.

So then it would be if you don't have the MM2 replace 'Summon Tempest' with the ability 'Summon Whatever' from page blah.

Let's not get too excited about this. It's the one book they're done it in, and there are pelanty of errors in the book at this kind of level (celestials missing from lists, mentioned as being from one book when they're from another etc.)

Altalazar

First Post
First - my confessional - I have all of the 3.0/3.5 books out thus far with the exception of Dragonlance (which looks interesting but I'm not sure I'll get it soon) and Diablo (which i saw as rather pointless).

I will probably get the miniatures stuff as well, but I do admit I'm somewhat disappointed that there aren't unpainted versions - I like to paint my miniatures - I find it relaxing, though it does take a long time to get through them... I have painted less than 1/3 of them, and I have a lot of them.

That said, I do appreciate the concept of keeping only the Core books as "required" for using the material put out for 3rd Edition. But I see nothing wrong with a few minor details here and there that reference other books - especially when there is enough information in the reference that you could get by without using that "non-core" book or with substituting something else for it. Frankly, I think it would be dreadfully boring if all products released from now til the end of the world are so limited that they could ONLY reference the three core books.

I think this is even less problematic with "theme" material referencing other "theme" material of the "same" theme.

Example: Book of Exalted Deeds referening Book of Vile Darkness material - both are the same "theme" and so it makes sense and is a good complement on the material of both to have some referencing back and forth. So though this violates the "core only" rule, it does so in a microcosm of similarly themed books, such that someone who is interested enough in the theme to buy one of them is likely to buy the other too - eliminating in reality the problem of a reference to a book someone might not have. This could work the same for various books themed about warriors or books themed about magic use and wizards. Someone interested enough in warrior stuff to buy one warrior supplement is more likely to buy other warrior themed supplements as well.

And it is obvious that the collorary is also true - that it makes much less sense to force someone to buy a book on halflings, say, to fully utilize material on dragons.

Gez

First Post
Damn! The thread was raised!

Tsyr said:
Skylord, page 71.

This wouldn't bother me so bad, if there were some indication that I would need this book. But on the back of the book, it says:

Book of Exalted Deeds said:
To use this supplement, a Dungeon Master also needs the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. A player needs only the Player's Handbook.

So it clearly says ALL I need are those books.

Yeah, but skylord is an elf PrC. In effect, what got you riled up is that they forgot the third sentence of the blurb.

"To use this supplement, a Dungeon Master also needs the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. A player needs only the Player's Handbook. A munchkin needs every book ever released."

Tsyr

Explorer
Gez said:
Yeah, but skylord is an elf PrC. In effect, what got you riled up is that they forgot the third sentence of the blurb.

"To use this supplement, a Dungeon Master also needs the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. A player needs only the Player's Handbook. A munchkin needs every book ever released."

:rolleyes: Please.

Remove ads