• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did the Monster Manual 2 become a core book?

Mystery Man

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:
Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine!

Hell, while we're at it:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!

Candyman Candyman Candyman!

And worst of all:

Derek Smart! Derek Smart! Derek Smart!

Nyah nyah!

All my 2E books just burst into flames.

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
Pants said:
Because it's just like the Creature Collection which also had Core Rulebook on the cover.
It's core, but not core, but more core than this, but less core than that. Core core core core. :p

Ah! Well, then, that makes perfect sense... :D

hunter1828

reiella

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I agree. See, what Tsyr complains about wouldn't bother me (and not just because I do own MM2) but when Monsters of Norrath says its compatible with D&D, and then it turns out I can't use it really without the Everquest mainbook, I feel a bit burned. Or that Creatures of Rokugan really needs the Rokugan book to use as well (although I now have Rokugan thanks to a Chicago gameday about a year or so ago...)

Hey now, to be fair, Monsters of Norrath just says that it is compatible with 3rd edition fantasy role playing! With that, I'm left to wonder if there's a 3rd edition of rolemaster or such.

I happen to agree though, a quick stat block for Tempest should have been included in the Skylord entry or in the Appendix... Or prefably, something not as freaking overpowering as the Tempest be used.

It might see a small adaptation with the Web Enhancement/Errata (ala Tome + Blood), but will see.

reiella said:
Hey now, to be fair, Monsters of Norrath just says that it is compatible with 3rd edition fantasy role playing! With that, I'm left to wonder if there's a 3rd edition of rolemaster or such.
:p I mean, really... what do you say to that?

shadow

First Post
Let's face it, WotC is no longer the same company that it was when it first acquired the D&D license. Gone are Monte Cook, Ryan Dancey, and all of the other people who helped make 3e a success. Also gone are the principles that they established. No supplement was supposed to require anything other than the core books. Hence, the Githiyanki were statted in both the Psionics Handbook, and the Manuel of the Planes. Now it looks like WotC has abandoned all pretense of needing only the "core books", and it won't be long before we see a repeat of the 2e days (God help us all!)

Also, WotC modified the SRD to include the controversial "decency codes". (Which Ryan Dancey was apparently against). The fact is that WotC has changed. Perhaps it changed when it was brought out by Ha$bro, or when several of their talented authors were laid off, or left the company, but somewhere along the line WotC changed for the worse. (Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I've witnessed WotC go from being called the "savior of D&D" to being called an "evil money grubbing corporation", or worse. I'm just hoping that WotC doesn't repeat the mistakes that TSR made during the late 80's and 90's.)

Remove ads