• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When is it too much?

Squnk

First Post
Almost a year ago I stopped playing rpg games, due to relocating to a new town and returning to school. Then recently the prospect of playing again presented itself and I of course jumped right in. Then I noticed I was becoming obsessed, always thinking about it and constantly looking information up online. I eventually noticed I might use fantasy too much as an escape from real life, I just didn't notice if before I took a break from it. So, how much is too much?

I greatly enjoy playing but I don't want it to get in the way of real life!

Bride of Cthulhu

First Post
I think once you reach the point that gaming is cutting into responsibility is your sign to tone it back a notch. I judge whether or not I am gaming too much based off of the following categories:

~How is my personal hygiene? Has it been neglected in lieu of additional gaming time?

~How clean is my house? Have I let it become messy because I insisted that another round of coffee and I SWEAR we can finish this dungeon tonight?

~How is my performance at work? Am I overly tired or distracted by daydreaming too often about the recent campaign? ( a little is okay )

And finally:

~ Have I neglected to spend time with people socially outside of gaming?

If you are okay with your perfromance in the above areas, then you're probably okay. This is how I judge this for myself. Even if you don't go by these specific examples, finding a mental list for yourself to go down when you get worried is a good way to keep your gaming self in check. Hope this helps!

Dwimmerlied

First Post
~How is my personal hygiene? Has it been neglected in lieu of additional gaming time?

I'm sorry to say I had to laugh at this :D
[MENTION=97464]Squnk[/MENTION] ...Yeah, its a thing with this game. It offers imaginative people such an engaging outlet for their creativity that it can really suck people in! The fact is, there is simply no substitute for self regulation.

Remove ads