• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When will D&D 5e be published?

When will D&D 5e be published?

Votes: 6 4.7%

Votes: 26 20.2%

Votes: 19 14.7%

Votes: 20 15.5%

Votes: 26 20.2%

Votes: 18 14.0%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebten

First Post
*sets the kindling down, squirts the lighter fluid on top, makes sure there is proper circulation*

Steel_Wind

Legend
When WotC believes there is more money to be made with a new version.

Really, not any more complicated than that. Could be in 3 years - might be in four or five. Sooner than many would like, I'm sure.

Whatever the case, it's a cold-hearted business decision. It's all about $$$.

I figure Dark Sun comes out this year, so 2011 is a brand new setting to go with a release of an alternate first PHB, a sort of Unearthed Arcana to test out wonky rules. 2012 has some 'end of the world' gimmick mega adventure, and they announce 5e for Gen Con 2013.

weem

First Post
I threw out the guess of 2015, why not.

Maybe release it on May 5th to play off of the "5" thing (5th Edition! Coming 05/05/2015!) :p

I'm a D&D fan, they have my money pretty much regardless of what they do or when they do it, so it doesn't matter too much to me, hehe.

BUT whenever(if) they do announce it, my joke site will actually become accurate :p

Festivus

First Post
*puts on flame proof jacket*

In my opinion, the whole idea of a simple set of basic rules with a bunch of exceptions is brilliant. It makes running the game remarkably easy compared to 3.x for me. Frees me up to focus on NPC motivations rather than how an NPC casts a spell. The real test is going to be Gamma World for the engine. If it can hold up with that, I envision all sorts of spin off games that might let it sit for a while.

I put 5e at 8 years out and hoping for a good long run.

Shemeska

Adventurer
With no true setting support to keep fans of previous settings or to inspire people new to the game, it may cripple the long-term viability of the line. The 3 and done model for settings will, IMO, prove to be incredibly short-sighted.

Having said that, again IMO, any prospective 5e isn't likely going to be done by WotC. I truly don't see them doing it unless the 4e line collapses utterly and they reverse design direction on a great many things. But if that happened, I would expect Hasbro to simply shut down the RPG division and hold onto the IP.

Ourph

First Post
Well, the poll only goes out to 2020, which I think is several decades too short. I think 4e will continue with occasional rules revisions as a continually supported game through the DDI, with book sales eventually becoming irrelevant to the business model. With a subscription model, continuity becomes more profitable than having the customer base buy all new rulebooks every 3-4 years, so there will be little incentive to maintain the edition treadmill.

5e will come out when somebody invents holodeck technology and you have to buy a virtual reality chamber to "upgrade" to the new edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads