• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where are you guys?!

Where are you guys?

• We are here, but we aren't saying much.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I stopped by just long enough to vote here... not up to date though.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Decided that I'd rather just use a published/soon to publish system instead (Starwars, Dragonstar, S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Realized what I wanted to work on was an air/space realted setting and not a rule set, so I'm not re

Votes: 0 0.0%

Wyvern

Explorer
Re: Cosmonomicon

Vrylakos said:
I was sort of interested in aerial stuff for my own use in my campaign setting. I was more interested in aerial stuff, flying ships, and so forth. The planetary/vacuum stuff, along with the massive outline, sort of left me with very little to say. The concept seemed to daunting, and recently I started trying to do some freelance work, which has taken up a lot of my time. I would have liked to have seen the outline pared down. The basic rules done first, then small supplements to it for those who were interested in planetary definition, spacial bodies, etc.
If you look at the rules I put together, you'll see the approach I'm taking. I've included an outline of the chapter outline I intend to follow, provided nobody objects to me assuming the writing responsibility. As far as setting material goes, I plan to include the following:

* Rules for the effects of gravity in combat.
* A definition of the three basic types of medium (water, air and vacuum), and their effects on vessels.
* Basic suggestions for constructing planetary systems. This will focus more on ideas than rules, a la Spelljammer's descriptions of elemental bodies. At most, I might have a list of descriptors something like the GRAPH system from Alternity. The design of cultures has already been addressed by the DMG, and I'm not going to retread that ground.
* A definition of tech and magic levels, and rules for how tech and magic from different cosmoses interact.

I'm not making any effort to follow the outline that was written up before (though I may refer to it for ideas on what to cover).

Wyvern

Azure Trance

First Post

I'm a lurker, but I've had high hopes for this setting, especially since I would have loved to use these rules for a Steampunkish setting D:

Wish I could access the UBB boards though so I could refresh all of the progress thats been made so far though.

ax0n

First Post
If you're struggling to get interest in the Cosmonomicon you could always join the FaNCC and become a netbook. As you probably know, the FANCC is now hosted by EN World. I believe there is interest in starting a Netbook of Steam, but its scope could widen to include vehicles, or you could just start a Netbook of Vehicles. I think both the FANCC and the Cosmonomicon (a fine project, which it would be sad to see go) could both benefit from pooling resources.

BlackJaw

First Post
I see a problem with the draft's direct use of the DMG manuverablity ratings... They are all based on a 5' standard. If simply keep them how they are, then realy large vessels will need to move an entire 5 or 10 feet before they pull turns, and with about 30 feet they could turn all the way around!

The DMG's system is also a bit to complex to use all the time anyways.

I've made both of those arguments before. I DO NOT recomend that system for consistent or wide spread application of flight in a setting or game. They very much need to be cleaned up/simplified and more important still, reworked for our scale. My thoughts on the subject can be found here: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400

ALSO: You mentioned my HD/ship size listing. You'r right, it is a bit off. I think I based it off a Dragon article on monster design, and simply took their advice on construct HD by size. Keep in mind you were also using 5 hd for a large craft... I used 5 HD for a large object (as in the standard D&D size, not your vessel size system which would make it 4 sizes larger then large, and therefore more then 5 HD) I didn't say my system was perfect, or good... I was just saying a way to make it work. The exact size to HD ratio is not yet finalized.

Be careful with a size type "slide." It can make things confusing as what you mean by a huge ship, and a huge dragon can be confusing. Also, at some point people will want to shoot at a non-vessel from their vessel (or vice versa) and then it can become annoying. I much prefer the Dragon star system which is just an extention of the standard size system instead of a name-shift like you and Starwars use.

I am a fan of a component system for ship construction. I found the alternity system for that topic very fun and allowed for a large and diverse number of crafts. It would be the most fun for me to work on.

Wyvern

Explorer
Originally posted by BlackJaw
I see a problem with the draft's direct use of the DMG manuverablity ratings... They are all based on a 5' standard. If simply keep them how they are, then realy large vessels will need to move an entire 5 or 10 feet before they pull turns, and with about 30 feet they could turn all the way around!

The DMG's system is also a bit to complex to use all the time anyways.

I've made both of those arguments before. I DO NOT recomend that system for consistent or wide spread application of flight in a setting or game. They very much need to be cleaned up/simplified and more important still, reworked for our scale. My thoughts on the subject can be found here: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400
I'm not sure what you mean about the 5' standard, since I changed all references to distance from absolute measurements to fractions of the ship's current speed. That way, it works out the same regardless of what movement scale you're using, and the faster a ship is going, the harder it is for them to make sharp turns. Perhaps you overlooked that change.

I'm not married to the DMG system, though; if someone offers a better system I'm quite willing to accept it. However, I think we should at least keep the same categories for maneuverability, even if we redefine how they operate, for the sake of compatability.

At any rate, in spite of the fact that the tactical combat system is the central part of the Cosmonomicon, it's actually the part that I'm least interested in detailing myself. Consequently, I haven't gotten around to reading the ideas you listed in the other thread (though I do have them saved on my hard drive for future perusal).

ALSO: You mentioned my HD/ship size listing. You'r right, it is a bit off. I think I based it off a Dragon article on monster design, and simply took their advice on construct HD by size. Keep in mind you were also using 5 hd for a large craft... I used 5 HD for a large object (as in the standard D&D size, not your vessel size system which would make it 4 sizes larger then large, and therefore more then 5 HD) I didn't say my system was perfect, or good... I was just saying a way to make it work. The exact size to HD ratio is not yet finalized.
I realize that your suggestions were just off-the-cuff. My comments in relation to them were just an observation, not a criticism. If you'll look at the stat block, however, you'll see that the example ship I gave was Tiny, which converted to the monster size scale translates as Large.

Be careful with a size type "slide." It can make things confusing as what you mean by a huge ship, and a huge dragon can be confusing. Also, at some point people will want to shoot at a non-vessel from their vessel (or vice versa) and then it can become annoying. I much prefer the Dragon star system which is just an extention of the standard size system instead of a name-shift like you and Starwars use.
The reason I chose the scale I did is because a spaceship that's large compared to a human is tiny in relation to other spaceships, and I think the labels should reflect that. The problem with the DragonStar system is that Colossal I, Colossal II, etc. are bland and not especially intuitive. But I realize that this is a matter of taste, and I don't want to be dictatorial about it. If I see a general consensus in favor of the DS system or something similar, I'll make the change. Until then, however, I'd rather leave it as it is.

As for the issue of people firing from the deck of a vessel, my system does provide a side benefit: it compensates for the change in distance between combatants. The size modifiers to AC are meant to reflect the fact that a large creature is a bigger target; however, when you're using a 30-ft grid it changes things. (Though I realize that range increments do account for this problem somewhat, they're designed for personal weapons, not ship weapons.) The same thing applies in reverse; it should be really hard to hit a human-sized target with a cannon at a hundred yards, and redefining humans as Fine simulates this.

I am a fan of a component system for ship construction. I found the alternity system for that topic very fun and allowed for a large and diverse number of crafts. It would be the most fun for me to work on.
By all means, go ahead. I have plenty of ideas of my own, of course, but this is definitely a case of "the more the merrier". Here's a suggestion for some categories of components:

Control
Propulsion
Navigation
Life Support
Weapons
Defenses

This is not an exhaustive list, and of course you're free to come up with your own if you prefer, but it would be wise to have some sort of classification system to make it easier to compile everyone's ideas when it comes to the final draft.

Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
Wow, we should realy start reading each other's stuff better. I missed a lot in yours. My bad.

My post before does have a manuvering system that uses the DMG terms, but not those overly hard rules. It uses a simple system that probably needs a bit of pollishing.

As for ship construction meathods, we first need to get a mostly complete system of ship movement, combat, and stats. after that, ship construction takes over, and then we re-polish it all.

If you don't mind, I'm going to combine some of your document with my concepts, and post it here. (under a new thread)

Remove ads