• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Which 2e campaign setting should make a comeback in 4e?

Which 2e setting should make a comeback?

• Al-Qadim

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 43 22.4%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Oriental Adventures

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 45 23.4%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 20 10.4%

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Had to vote for Birthright, because I'd like to see this design team tackle managing a realm in a really detailed fashion. I was a fan of Mearls' work on similar topics in the Quintessential books. Plus the rest can mostly be done with fluff and some hacked naval/aerial combat rules, IMO.

FourthBear

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I can't believe I'm the only person who voted for Al-Qadim. :(

I put in one for Al Qadim, although I'm not very surprised it hasn't garnered as many votes. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of the ones listed. It's got a great central hook (Arabian Nights!), the world building was wonderful and the adventures had a very distinctive style. It's also gotten almost no love in the 3e era, only a Dragon article here and there.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Mouseferatu said:
I can't believe I'm the only person who voted for Al-Qadim. :(

That said, it was a very tough choice.

I could also just as easily welcome Dark Sun back with open arms.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Imaro

Legend
I voted Planescape, since IMHO this is one of the most original and interesting settings ever produced by a gaming company period. It's got a multitude of adventure sites, a built in reason for a DM to create numerous prime material planes(or use those already published). accomodates a number of playstyles and actually goes beyond killing things and taking their stuff(though this is easily possible as well.)

Where else can you con a demon into giving you a tear or two and use them to open a portal, in a grime flecked alley of Sigil, to the world of a dying god. Have tea with her and wax philisophical about the nature of godhood and how she has grown tired of it. Then hire yourself out as her protector, (unless of course your an Athar, then you find a way to merk her and return to Sigil with her head as more proof gods aren't really gods), to battle the cult of insane githzerai monks who believe she's their new god, after which you've got to figure out a way to permanently put her to rest( maybe hunt down her remaining worshippers across the planes??).

I like some of the others (especially Dark Sun) but the gaming industry has expanded, and many of these settings may have been original when they were published, but now not so much. I still haven't found anything that stands up to Planescape in originality or adventure possibilities. This would probably be the setting that would have me purchasing D&D 4e.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Aloïsius said:
Dark sun, of course ! I think it's the more "4e" of the old setting (point of light, heroes start at third level, heroes are less dependant of magic item ...)
Very interesting point. You're absolutely right, Dark Sun seems a good fit for 4e.

Lackhand said:
Betcha can't click just one? Birthright, for me :)
And I was about to ask why we can only click just one.

I picked Dark Sun, but eh. I'm ready to move forward, not backwards. Besides, Iron Kingdoms blows any TSR settings completely out the water as far as I'm concerned.

Also... Oriental Adventures? That's not a setting. Do you mean Rokugan, or Kara-Tur or something else by that?

Flynn

First Post
Since there's no Greyhawk option...

I voted for Oriental Adventures, because the 3.5 version (Rokugan) is not the same setting as the 1st Edition/2nd Edition version (Kara Tur). I would like to have the original Kara Tur OA setting come back.

Of course, if Greyhawk had been up there, I'd have voted for Greyhawk first, as we do not yet know the status of that beloved setting.

With Regards,
Flynn

drothgery

First Post
Birthright was my favorite 'classic' setting, but really, I'd prefer WotC launch a new 'native 4e' setting than revive 2e settings.

Remove ads