• Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually that's part of why I think Dragonlance is the safest bet (one way to define best, I suppose) - the theme is good vs evil, the split between being on Team Good vs being actually good, and riding dragons (which is awesome).
Yeah, the tight connection between the Setting and a story with a large cast screams "TV show" to me.

fba827

Adventurer
If you’re going for episodic series, hollow world. Why? The hollow world ( for those that don’t know) is ancient civilizations that have been picked and placed for preservation all next door to each other). So traveling from place to place is an easy for a variety of locations and situations, just would need a hook to have the stars traveling from civilization to civilization

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think the point being made was: how can you show off what makes the setting special in one show? If the breadth is the selling point, you need a show that features a lot of travel - which would be pricey to do live-action. ).

Karameikos could provide enough story within its own confines for a show - politics, colonialism, slavery, church v state and the Romance of Aleena. You could still feature the Five Shires, and the Dragon kingdom, Thyatian Ambassadors, trade with the Emirates without blowing a budget on anything but the dragon

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you’re going for episodic series, hollow world. Why? The hollow world ( for those that don’t know) is ancient civilizations that have been picked and placed for preservation all next door to each other). So traveling from place to place is an easy for a variety of locations and situations, just would need a hook to have the stars traveling from civilization to civilization
I am not sure a show built around visiting fantasy versions of real life cultures is a show I would greenlight in 2023. It feels like it'd be a ticking time bomb before some tin-eared writer or costume designer or accent coach got everyone in trouble.

"Traveling around, seeing a new group every week" would also describe Spelljammer, and the odds that real life space clowns would get offended by what we did is pretty low.

Voadam

Legend
I am aesthetically against that from the Hollow World premise. These civilizations are just living dioramas for the gods to keep and enjoy. Worse there is divine magic enforcing ethno-essentialism. Whether that is known from the beginning or a reveal I would not like it.

Hollow World would be like mixing Jurasik Park and Conan the barbarian. Technically they are demiplanes within the planet, but maybe after the spellplague and Vecna event these demiplanes could be altered, and adding "hyrborian-punk" or tribalpunk elements style Dark Sun.

Some times I wonder about a mash-up mixing Dragonlance and Dark Sun. Why not to be published by a "2PP/subsidiary"?

Dark Sun is too linked with the plot of the Pentad Prism.

If the screenwritters aren't too good, then I advice to bet something style epic comedy, like Disney's Aladdin or Hercules. If the plot is too serious, then the plot has to be really good.

Remove ads