• Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Starfox

Hero
I voted Planescape and Dragonlance, not because these are my favorite settings (that would be Greyhawk) but because they are different and distinct and suitable to creative stories. What is a good setting for a game and a TV-series is not the same thing.

On the third hand, if we're talking about budgets: Spelljammer only need to build a home-ship set once, so if they put the effort into making that look right they got 75% of the shots on good sets right there. Just do all your talky character building on the ship.

The downside of Spelljammer is you'll need to use a lot of mind flayers, which will be hard to make look good.

Now I am wondering about how would be the world of Greyhawk if they had also suffered the Phyrexian invasion. And the Athasian tablelands? Maybe the Phyrexians time-traveled to Athas for the cleasing wars, altering totally the timeline.

Why not a miniserie where each chapter is a different D&D world?

Or Hasbro could talk with some cinema-studio, this would produce their epic fantasy serie, owning the copyright/trademark, and WotC would use the licence. But these would be sourcebooks more focused into the lore than the crunch.

nevin

Hero
only one I can come up with that would have a remote chance of being a good movie would be dark sun. But honestly I don't think any current or former D&D world is well setup for a d&D movie.

nevin

Hero
yep and I stand by my statement. Forgotten realms has many cities good for one shot movies. but if anyone were to try and do a "world" movie it's a frankenstein mess. Great for dnd games not so good for movie.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
yep and I stand by my statement. Forgotten realms has many cities good for one shot movies. but if anyone were to try and do a "world" movie it's a frankenstein mess. Great for dnd games not so good for movie.
The movie obviously doesn't show the whole world (just like no Forgotten Realms setting book ever has), but it does cover quite a few locations, like part of Icewind Dale, Waterdeep, parts of the Underdark, and a few other locations. And nothing says that a D&D movie or show has to show off all of the setting.

The movie obviously doesn't show the whole world (just like no Forgotten Realms setting book ever has), but it does cover quite a few locations, like part of Icewind Dale, Waterdeep, parts of the Underdark, and a few other locations. And nothing says that a D&D movie or show has to show off all of the setting.
I think the point being made was: how can you show off what makes the setting special in one show? If the breadth is the selling point, you need a show that features a lot of travel - which would be pricey to do live-action. But a lot of setting are about a specific theme or sub-genre of fantasy, so you jut need to knw what that is an incorporate that. Like Planescape's focus on philosophy and faction, or Dark Sun's extreme grittiness (and environmental message) - you can bring those ideas out with smaller stories.

I don't know there's enough of an audience to justify the cost, but still.

Actually that's part of why I think Dragonlance is the safest bet (one way to define best, I suppose) - the theme is good vs evil, the split between being on Team Good vs being actually good, and riding dragons (which is awesome).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was actually astonished at how much deep-cut FR lore made it into the movie without feeling ham-fisted or forced.

Remove ads