• Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What you need to look at is Andor. I think something of that level could do Eberron justice. It also depends on what king of Eberron story you want to tell.

However, $58 mill / episode for RoP! Is that correct? If so, that is a highly inefficient use of funds.
Not really, the budget shows on screen...and Eberron would need more. It is essentially 4 feature length movies, which means that Rings of Power still had a lower budget per hour than Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, which has a pretty modest budget for a big screen film. A TV show that looked like Honor Among Thieves could conceivsvly run $75 million per episode.

Andor is a Sci-Fi show, not a magic-punk wide magic Fantasy Setting. Totally different league in terms of what would be required, which is why Sci-Fi is more often attempted than Fantasy in film.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
given how much they paid for the rights to use the annals of LotR, the inefficient use of funds started right then and there
The idea is to overwhelm efficiency, if seems
But 4 films with a budget of $120 million would not be thst outré these days, what with all the $300 million dollar budgets flying around.

Vael

Legend
Any decent writer could tell stories in these themes in every significant D&D setting
So? You can say that about anything. Why even DnD? One can do hard-boiled detective stories in any world, any franchise. But Eberron does a lot of the heavy lifting. Inquisitives are part of the world, and Sharn has a distinctive look, giving a fun visual appeal. Conflict between the 5 Nations and the mystery of the Mournland are right there. So the political stuff and spy drama are, again, baked into the world. Sure, you also do it in FR and the masked Lords of Waterdeep, but Eberron is my fav, and I wish I got to see it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
So? You can say that about anything. Why even DnD? One can do hard-boiled detective stories in any world, any franchise. But Eberron does a lot of the heavy lifting. Inquisitives are part of the world, and Sharn has a distinctive look, giving a fun visual appeal. Conflict between the 5 Nations and the mystery of the Mournland are right there. So the political stuff and spy drama are, again, baked into the world. Sure, you also do it in FR and the masked Lords of Waterdeep, but Eberron is my fav, and I wish I got to see it.
Eberron is a great setting. But as you point out it is not unique it in its abilities to tell most themes of story.

The broad palette for major D&D settings means that most of this conversation is just "What's your favorite setting?" Not actually about what makes the best TV show/series.

Vael

Legend
Eberron is a great setting. But as you point out it is not unique it in its abilities to tell most themes of story.

The broad palette for major D&D settings means that most of this conversation is just "What's your favorite setting?" Not actually about what makes the best TV show/series.
Well, I said that Eberron does a better job of baking in the concepts that are used in a lot of long running TV shows as well as providing unique visuals. If that's insufficient, than tbh, the one that wins isn't on this list, because it's Exandria, the Critical Role world because they have name brand recognition and the Vox Machina series is already out.

Exandria is a cartoon show now, we can't forget it.

Eberron can offer more different types of styles. It is epic fantasy, but also drinking a lot from noir genre and pulp fiction.

They could adapt some actual-play show, but I don't know what are enough popular.

My fear is the current audience is not too interested into fantasy, but the adaptation of previous written novels.

* Any new about the comingsoon webtoon of Drizzt D'ourden and daughter?

Zardnaar

Legend

Think I'm one of the few who's nominated obe of my least favorite settings.

Darksuns my favorite and its problematic stuff isn't worse than Mad Max or Gane of Thrones so not a problem as such.

But it would be one of the more expensive shows to film.

All the generic settings mentioned woukd be bad ideas as well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree. You think it needs more, I don’t. We are both correct and incorrect until someone actually makes and Eberron show.

Well, sure, I just don't see that happening anytime soon (hyperrealistically, I doubt we will see any non-Forgotten Realms priperty unless D&D media really takes off in a big way, but Dragonlance is a dark horse due to the popularityof the novels and having a legit champion fighting to make it happen in Mangianelo). It is precisely because I like Eberron that I feel that it would need more: that and a youth spent watching DVD special features, so getting an idea of how different movies compare, budget-wise.

Remove ads