• Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which is a Paramount joint, which a D&D show would be.

Okay but you haven’t explained why you think Eberron would be more expensive than two shows that are constantly trying to outdo themselves in attempts to visually impress the audience with special effects, locations, etc

How? Why? Why would that be prohibitive?
Eberron is a Fantasy Setting, not a Sci-Fi one. Sci-Fi shows can have lower budgets because more of their world can be bought off the shelf and disguised slightly.

In Eberron, every darn shot would have to have all sorts of oddball details...or risk being pure camp.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is a Paramount joint, which a D&D show would be.

Okay but you haven’t explained why you think Eberron would be more expensive than two shows that are constantly trying to outdo themselves in attempts to visually impress the audience with special effects, locations, etc

How? Why? Why would that be prohibitive?

Who is this comment aimed at?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eberron is a Fantasy Setting, not a Sci-Fi one. Sci-Fi shows can have lower budgets because more of their world can be bought off the shelf and disguised slightly.
Eberron is more like a Star Trek than any other D&D setting (yes, including spelljammer).
In Eberron, every darn shot would have to have all sorts of oddball details...or risk being pure camp.
No more so than any other fantasy show, and possibly less than some others. And every studio has truckloads of props from the late Middle Ages to the early modern period.
Who is this comment aimed at?
If you don’t see quotations, the poster I’m replying to has you on ignore or you have them on ignore.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Really? Eberron has skyscrapers, street lamps, trains, and plenty of other magical equivalents of real-world technologies. Sure, it would take quite a bit of special effects and costumes to make it look good and unique, but I can't imagine that it would be outrageously expensive compared to many popular Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows/movies, like Loki or the Mandalorian. It's not like every shot of the TV Show would take place in the streets of Sharn. Plenty of it would take place in the low magic countryside or ordinary-looking buildings/structures.

Adjusted for inflation, Strange New Worlds is the biggest budget Trek so far at $10 million, whereas the Mandalorian or Game of Thrones top out at $15 million per episode. Rings of Power, which is more of a low bar for what I would expect of a serious attempt at an Eberron show, is $58 million per episode.

It's wide fabtasy: that's harder than what Star Wars or even Star Trek do.

That's fair: I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes (I love Eberron! If aomeone could pull off a shoe thst would be rad!), so I'm not goijg to belabor this further.
What you need to look at is Andor. I think something of that level could do Eberron justice. It also depends on what king of Eberron story you want to tell.

However, $58 mill / episode for RoP! Is that correct? If so, that is a highly inefficient use of funds.

Vael

Legend
I feel Eberron gives the widest scope of TV series ideas:
  • mystery procedural series, follow an inquisitive in Sharn
  • Indiana Jones stuff in Xen'Drik
  • Keith Baker did a riff on James Bond in the Thorn of Breland novels. So spy drama
  • The Five nations and The Last War are perfect for someone that wants to do Game of Thrones in DnD

• Keith Baker did a riff on James Bond in the Thorn of Breland novels. So spy drama
  • The Five nations and The Last War are perfect for someone that wants to do Game of Thrones in DnD
Eberron also has the fantasy equivalents of RL tech and scifi tech in it. The most notable being the Warforged.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Any decent writer could tell stories in these themes in every significant D&D setting

Remove ads