• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which edition to play

GuJiaXian

Explorer
This is not an edition war thread. It's an opportunity for others to toss advice my way as I try to figure out what I like (and dislike) about various editions of D&D.

I own tons of 3.x books. I own tons of 4e books (I also hold an active DDI subscription). I've played 3.x since it was released. I've played 4e on and off (almost always as the DM) since it was released.

Here's the quandary: I just cannot decide which edition I'd rather play. Both seem to have such glaring negatives: 4e is (mechanically) so combat-centric, homogenizes the classes, drops the ability to build "non-heroes" (compare a 1st-level 3.x character to his or her 4e counterpart). 4e also requires miniatures; I have tons, but I like keeping my options open.

On the other hand, 3.x is math-heavy, the mechanics start to crumble at high levels, combat takes forever, and there's no Character Builder (man, I love that program). While it encourages minis and battlemats, it's flexible enough for pure imagination (the way I learned to roleplay).

So, I'm rather torn as to what to do. Perhaps the only advice boils down to "do what you want"; I'm not sure what I want. I have the product to support either game. I like the tightness of 4e, but I feel like it lost a lot of the wonder that earlier editions had. I enjoyed many years of 3.x, but playing 4e has really made that system's flaws obvious to me.

Any suggestions?

GuJiaXian

Explorer
I've actually considered it, though I really never played it (started with 2e). Also, I don't own any product from before 3.x, and I'd really like to not have to re-spend to play.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Um, something other than D&D maybe?

Have you looked at Pathfinder? It gives 3.5 a shot in the arm - including some speed increase (although it certainly is still combat based on 3.5).

The Pathfinder SRD is online and free, so check it out if you haven't already.

jbear

First Post
Can't you play both versions in two seperate campaigns and make the most of each systems strengths to scratch both itches?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
My first question would normally be to identify what you like, but you sound a little uncertain on that. Be thinking along those lines, though.

Some other questions to consider:

1. Why must there be a choice? Why not play 3.5 for some games, then 4e for others? Maybe DM one, then play the other.

2. What about the other players in the game? What do they like?

3. Have you considered a hybrid? Consider maybe looking at a system like Castles & Crusades, then importing in the elements of each game that you like. Or taking the game you like best, then modifying it with elements of the other game.

4. Does continued support matter?

These are just some random thoughts, and there are many other questions you can come up with too.

Hello GuJiaXian,

Why haven't you tried bending 4e to your style of play? What isn't it offering you that you cannot try and address? Our group plays both 3.x/4E (and Pathfinder) and we have managed to bend 4e style somewhat to our playstyle (not perfectly though).

As for 3.x, a lot of its problems are at higher levels 12+. Why not stick to a lower level game, possibly slowing the advancement down a little?

Alternatively, have a look at Pathfinder. If 3.x scratched your itch in the past, this treatment really does give it some new legs and energy, addressing some issues (but not others). Again, if you stick to lower levels (under 13) and a slow advancement, it could very well be exactly what you want (for minimal investment as it does not invalidate any of your significant 3.x materials). Check out the Pathfinder Reference Document.

Alternatively again, have a look at Fantasycraft if you did want to spend a little for what looks to be a really nice system. I purchased the pdf and boy does it get some creative juices flowing. Fun stuff!

Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever you do.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Those are some good thoughts. I really do like D&D, but I'd like to devote my attention to one edition/system. I've always been (in all aspects--computer software, gaming, you name it) a big fan of "the newest version." I was this way with 4e when it first came out, but having played it for a while, I find that it's not doing what I want it to do. Specifically, while it's much quicker and more concise, I feel that it loses that sense of wonder that older systems had (for that matter, 3.x lost some compared to AD&D).

However, given the sheer amount of 3.x stuff I own (and the amount of free stuff available), continued support doesn't really matter. Heck, I can always mine the fluff from my 4e books for even more stuff.

As for Pathfinder, that's another option I've looked into. I flipped through the book at the FLGS. $50 is a lot to swallow, and some of the reviews I've read boil down to "it's a nice improvement, but many of 3.x's flaws are still there."

Grimstaff

Explorer

As for Pathfinder, that's another option I've looked into. I flipped through the book at the FLGS. $50 is a lot to swallow, and some of the reviews I've read boil down to "it's a nice improvement, but many of 3.x's flaws are still there."
I don't think we'll get a true sense of the fixes until about a year's play under the belt. As such I would take most reviews (be they good or bad) on this issue as just speculation at this point. The changes could be more pervasive at higher levels in play than in reading.

Do you homebrew, use published adventures or do you have more stuff at the moment than what you will ever need?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads