Which edition would best fit my playing style?

What edition of D&D would best fit my playing style?

• OD&D (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • AD&D 1E (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • AD&D 2E (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • D&D 3.0E

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • D&D 3.5E

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • Microlight D20 (M20)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 19.0%

tsadkiel

Legend
Here's where C&C falters. It's pretty much a basics kind of game. You won't find your genasi swordmages here! However, they can be adapted.

The C&C Freeport Companion has a few new races and classes, including Azhar, which are very close to fire genasi. Throw in the free warrior mage pdf from Adventure Games Publishing, and you have a genasi swordmage. (Throw in some other AGP material and you have PC ducks. Which is also pretty weird.)

Delta

First Post
I voted OD&D.

Although my Diminutive d20 rules were written with much the same motivation (maybe except "weird classes"; see link below).

FriarRosing

First Post
I, like others so far, would suggest Rules Cyclopedia, or, if that doesn't work, 4e. I've never played Castles and Crusades, but from what I've heard, and from what everyone here has said, it may work really well too.

Shades of Green

First Post
Sounds like: old-school 'feel' (or overall style of play) but with 3e-era flexibility, or thereabouts.
Yes, that more-or-less what I'm looking for: a unified and flexible task mechanic as in 3E combined with the earlier editions' feel, flavor, simplicity, ease of play, and greater reliance on narrative play.

So, my vote went to Microlite20. Damn rules light - as in, more so than most old school systems - oodles of flexibility, much of the 'other' stuff in sessions simply down to narration, player decision making and problem solving, etc.
Yep, Microlight is definitely one of the leading options on my list; my main problems with it is being a little bit too rules-light as well as the "magic causes HP damage" rules (I love their flavor but they don't fit my current campaign).

Though. . . any chance something non-D&D and non-d20 might work OK for you?
Yep, I have no problems with non-D20 systems, as long as I could play more-or-less "heroic fantasy" with them. I'm already using non-D20 systems for my sci-fi needs (Traveller and Shadowrun), but what I'm looking for is a system - any system - to replace 3.0E D&D as my fantasy game system.

It looks a lot like the BD&D/Labyrinth Lord/RC paradigm, except for the "variation in race/class combinations" bit that stumps that as well.
I guess I was unclear about the variation/possibilities thing (blame sleep deprivation for that!). What I meant was that I wanted some options to play with, more along the lines of the 2E "Book of Humanoids" and less along the lines of 3E's splat/crunch explosion (too many options is a problem as well, especially during character creation).

I'm going to plump for Chris Gonnerman's Basic Fantasy RPG which you can get for free here. It's a hybrid of Basic's simplicity and ease of use with some 3e flexibility thrown in, and it shouldn't be too hard to exapt some of the 3e classes for it.
Hmmm... Looks very good. I'll definitely consider that option.

Remathilis

Legend
1) I like to play fast, rules-light, with as little book referencing during gameplay as possible, and with some level of improvisation. I like simple game mechanics that I could easily learn by heart and thus avoid excessive page-thumbing during the game.

Rules Cyclopedia places all the rules needed in one book (from classes to spells to monsters & treasure). Castles & Crusades has two. Fourth edition has three, but you rarely need more than one open at a time.

2) I like to best utilize my prep time, which is becoming more and more limited as I grow up.

RC, C&C, or 4e.

3) I usually DM for a relatively small group of 1-3 players.

If you are willing to let characters run more than one PC at a time, (or have hirelings/henchmen) I'd go RC. C&C can work here as well, but 4e really needs 5 players.

4) I usually play Core-centric games with minimal use of additional books.

RC is all inclusive, but a little sparse on monsters. Same with C&C. 4e is good on monsters and such, but VERY shy on magic items (adventurer's vault is practically the 4th core book).

5) My settings usually have a low-to-moderate magic level.

Have you looked at GURPS? ;)

Seriously, it depends on your level. All editions of D&D can pull out some ghee-whiz magic levels at high level. RC D&D has only three caster classes and I think 200 spells total. C&C is a bit higher in magic, but not as much as AD&D. 4th has a lot of magic, but its not as powerful as it once was. All editions can be tailored to magical goodies lists.

6) I like to use magic, character powers, and monster powers both in and out of combat. Me and my players also like cool "non-combat" spells/powers that could be used in creative ways both outside and in combat.

4e is much more geared toward everyones good in combat, beyond that makes stuff up. C&C and RC is a more classic mix of fighters rocking in combat, rogues rocking in dungeons, and wizards rocking when they have the right spell, but not much else.

7) I don't mind some boardgame elements in my games, as well as moderately complex combat (up to and including some use counters/minis), but I don't think I'll go to an extreme in this part of the game (that is, I don't think I'll like using extremely detailed tactical gameplay).

Good news: All editions support miniature play! :D 4e kinda requires it, though.

8) I'm not very concerned with game balance, as long as I could create (or even eyeball) more or less fair encounters. I (and my players) also prefer to let the characters grow organically rather than be planned ahead. There is also an element of "casual gaming" (read: bothersome RL constrains) that means that we'll be unlikely to reach truly high levels of rule mastery.

4e is balanced. Its literally a none-issue.

RC and C&C require a more delicate touch to make sure wizards don't trample thieves, clerics aren't medicine chests, and fighters have something to do beyond "hit stuff". None have the same level of broken combos as 3e.

9) I like varied, weird and interesting classes, races and monsters. I don't mind really weird ones. I also like to have some freedom in race/class combinations.

4e has you covered here. RC bows out partially; its classes and PC stuff is TIGHTLY tied to classic archetypes and not easily unbound, but it has monsters that haven't been seen (much) in other editions of D&D. C&C is fairly generic (due to its ties to OGL) but easily expandable.

10) I like a certain degree of world-building, but in D&D it doesn't have to be a very accurate simulation of reality.

All editions support world building. RC has a sample world (Mystara), and 4e has a assumed setting (PoL) but both are easy to ignore.

11) I'm slowly moving from using die rolls for various dungeon activities (i.e. searching for traps/secrets, dealing with puzzles etc) towards a more narrative style of DMing.

4e's skill challenges are optional. RC and C&C have a much more loose system of task resolution though, so DMs can flavor them differently.

12) I like both dungeons, wilderness exploration, and social/political role-playing.

All editions do that well. RC goes further by giving rule for ruling kingdoms and dominions and eventually seeking immortality! (though 4e gives you the latter as well)

So, which edition of D&D do you think would best fit my preferences?

RC (simple, all in one, classic), C&C (a modern take on classic conventions) or 4e (the new kid with lots of potential) all seem to flow well.

Either way, pick an edition and go with it because all D&D is awesome. :)

DISCLAIMER: I think that different editions fit different playing styles and different people's tastes. What I'm looking for is advice concerning my tastes and playing style. Please do not start edition wars here - if an edition doesn't fit my playing style it doesn't mean that it doesn't fit other people's playing styles.

While I'm currently playing 3.0E, I'm having more and more problems with this system, and I'm looking into the possibility of switching to another edition. The thing is that I'm not sure about which edition will be best for me and my players.

What I'm looking for is:

I voted 2E, and I'll explain why at the end. But first, We'll look at things individually:

1) I like to play fast, rules-light, with as little book referencing during gameplay as possible, and with some level of improvisation. I like simple game mechanics that I could easily learn by heart and thus avoid excessive page-thumbing during the game.
For this you are looking at 2E, basic D&D, or 4E. 1E while somewhat rules-light ends up requiring a lot of book referencing in the end. 3E is terrible for what you describe. 2E and basic D&D perfectly fit what you describe, and while 4E can get complex with combat and character creation, after a short period of time you stop referencing the books altogether, and it can easily do improvisation in both combat and non-combat situations, particularly outside of combat.

2) I like to best utilize my prep time, which is becoming more and more limited as I grow up.
4E all the way on this one. 1E/2E aren't too bad with this though, and 3E is a disaster.

3) I usually DM for a relatively small group of 1-3 players.
1E/2E does a small group best. 4E really wants at least 4 PCs, though I could see things working with 3. With that small of a group, I'd recommend a DMNPC or allowing people multiple characters. 1E/2E does running multiple characters better than newer editions, and multiclassing helps tremendously. 3E does not handle players running multiple characters well(less well than 4E, and the game can be swingy to the point where running 2-3 characters gets very risky. On the other hand, with heavy optimization and powergaming a small 3E group will do well.

4) I usually play Core-centric games with minimal use of additional books.
I'm not a big fan of 3E core. Its the least balanced version of D&D in Core, and a lot of primary concepts just don't work well(Fighter, I'm looking at you). 1E, 2E, and 4E work just fine out of the core books.

5) My settings usually have a low-to-moderate magic level.
I think 4E is very underrated in this regard. While players can spam magic end over end, the magic they can wield isn't high impact like earlier editions. Slow leveling 1E/2E with a cap at around level 10(how most people have historically played it) and frugality with magical treasure can accomplish this goal as well. 3E doesn't do this well at all without heavy modification.

6) I like to use magic, character powers, and monster powers both in and out of combat. Me and my players also like cool "non-combat" spells/powers that could be used in creative ways both outside and in combat.
Actually, 3E does this better than any other D&D. The nature and limits of 1E/2E really require/encourage you to spam Fireballs and whatnot, to the point where its often hard to justify memorizing Fly. 4E's Rituals work very well for "non-combat" situations, but their slow(10 minute) casting doesn't allow for tactical non-combat application, or use in combat at all.

7) I don't mind some boardgame elements in my games, as well as moderately complex combat (up to and including some use counters/minis), but I don't think I'll go to an extreme in this part of the game (that is, I don't think I'll like using extremely detailed tactical gameplay).
What you say here doesn't sound like it disqualifies 4E. I would call 4E firmly in the moderately complex combat camp. Any edition sounds like it would work fine.

8) I'm not very concerned with game balance, as long as I could create (or even eyeball) more or less fair encounters. I (and my players) also prefer to let the characters grow organically rather than be planned ahead. There is also an element of "casual gaming" (read: bothersome RL constrains) that means that we'll be unlikely to reach truly high levels of rule mastery.
This all but disqualifies 3E, particularly the difficulty in eyeballing encounters. The other editions all work fine.

9) I like varied, weird and interesting classes, races and monsters. I don't mind really weird ones. I also like to have some freedom in race/class combinations.
Basic D&D just doesn't deliver this at all. 2E(and 1E if you ignore racial restrictions and level limits), is underrated in this regard, as it offers things like Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief, ect. The multiclassing system adds a lot of options. 3E offers the most freedom, but the system tends to break down quickly if you aren't optimizing. 4E in this regard is underrated, having limited but deep choices in core.

10) I like a certain degree of world-building, but in D&D it doesn't have to be a very accurate simulation of reality.
3E wouldn't work well in this regard given your time availability limits. The 2E DMG probably has the best tools in this regard, while 4E advocates starting small and fleshing out a greater area as the game progresses.

11) I'm slowly moving from using die rolls for various dungeon activities (i.e. searching for traps/secrets, dealing with puzzles etc) towards a more narrative style of DMing.
2E handles the narrative style best of all editions, and the 4E skill system can easily be disregarded to achieve the same effect. With 3E, you'll be ignoring large portions of the game, and 1E had lots of fiddly dice systems for this sort of thing.

2) I like both dungeons, wilderness exploration, and social/political role-playing.
All versions are equally do well for this.

So, which edition of D&D do you think would best fit my preferences?

As I said before, I recommend 2E. I believe you can accomplish what you want with 4E, but 2E is more what you want right out of the box.

Shades of Green

First Post
Thanks you all for the many helpful replies! :)

So far, the possible candidates seem to me (NOT[/b} in an order of preference):

1) D&D 2E (for which I already have the core-books) with a few house-rules and with the Book of Humanoids.

2) BFRPG, which is similar to 1E/2E but with some 3E-inspired streamlining; ordering it from LULU in hardcopy isn't that expensive and it shows promise.

3) Mazes and Minotaurs, though this would work best with a Greek, Roman (or a fantasy version of bronze/iron age Canaan) rather than with traditional fantasy. The downside of this means that I'll have to print it by myself (which isn't THAT expensive but IS time-consuming).

4) Microlite M20. While I lo9ve its simplicity and straightforward nature, the main disadvantages here are the lack of options (it is sometimes too rules-light) and the magic system.

5) D&D 4E, with which I'm not very familiar; many people seemed to think that this fits me best so this is an option. The main downsides are the limited number of core classes in the PHB, the difficulty of creating new classes (or so I was told) and the fact that this is the most expensive of my options (Amazon.com sells the bundled core set for $66.12 not including shipping).

6) Castles & Crusades, with which I'm not familiar; many people seemed to think that this fits me best so this is an option. This is also a bit expensive but if I could get the Boxed Set from Troll Lord Games, this will only cost me half of what 4E would.

7) OSRIC, which is a clone of OD&D; I don't know if I could get it printed by LULU, otherwise it'll mean printing it myself.

8) Labyrinth Lord, another OD&D/1E clone available from LULU, a little bit more expensive than BFRPG but also an option.

Any additional input, insights and suggestions would be very welcome - and no, this is no limited to D20/D&D by any means!

Last edited:

Remove ads