• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which game console to buy???

Orius

Legend
Eye Toy IIRC is PS2. That's my most modern system, and I have to say probably one of the better consoles I've ever had. There's tons and tons of games out there for it, the library is so big that you can be choosy about the games. There's lots of preowned games out there that can be picked up on the cheap, and there should be stuff that's suitable for and appealing to teenage girls (well I suppose, as I am neither).

Also, it's backwards compatible with the original PS, so those games will also work with the system.

I suppose you could look for stuff like console RPGs. They're often fantasy adventures, and most of the Japanese RPGs tend toward an anime look. There's a large amount of them on the PS2, and most of them fall into the E and T rating categories (if you're concerned about that). Of the top of my head, this category includes Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Odin Sphere, Grim Grimoire, Kingdom Hearts I & II, and that's just scratching the surface. I'm sure others will think of more similar games.

Music, there the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, but they're not that cheap (with the cost of the special controllers added in.) There's also Dance Dance Revolution. That's about all I know about because I'm not really into any of those games.

There's also plenty of compilations of games from older consoles (except naturally Nintendo's games), but they may not really be into the classics.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Orius said:
...and there should be stuff that's suitable for and appealing to teenage girls (well I suppose, as I am neither).

Neither suitable nor appealing? ;)

j/k

:p

PS3 (if it is backwards compatible with PS2) would also be a good choice then, of course, if it still fits the budget, that is. I think the price for this ridiculously expensive piece of tech has gone down a while ago IIRC.

Bye
Thanee

drothgery

First Post
Thanee said:
PS3 (if it is backwards compatible with PS2) would also be a good choice then, of course, if it still fits the budget, that is. I think the price for this ridiculously expensive piece of tech has gone down a while ago IIRC.

Backward compatibility on the PS3...
60 GB North America/Japan (discontinued) - 100% PS2 backward compatible; inlcudes PS2 CPU and GPU
20 GB North America/Japan (discontinued) - 100% PS2 backward compatible; inlcudes PS2 CPU and GPU
60 GB EU (discontinued) - ~75% PS2 backward compatible; inlcudes PS2 GPU and emulation software
80 GB North America/Japan (discontinued in Japan; I think) - ~75% PS2 backward compatible; inlcudes PS2 GPU and emulation software
40 GB (all territories) - no PS2 backward compatiblity

all PS3 models are fully backward compatible with the PS1.

It seems like Sony is slow-motion discontinuing all the models of the PS3 except the non-PS2 backward compatible $399 40GB version; I'm pretty sure the 80 GB only is available new in North America at this point.

Megaton

First Post
I have a Wii and a 360. I haven't touched my 360 since I got my Wii. Anyone who says it's a toy probably isn't familiar with the Wii's library, and Smash Bros. is coming out in a couple weeks.

Rackhir

Explorer
wendy413 said:
The 40GB PS3 was a very smart move for Sony. It has all the same movie and gaming capability, built in wireless internet, Blu-ray, HDMI 1.3, etc...
I got this 40GB PS3 at a deal price of $400, I feel it is well worth it for the features I get. Wifi, Bluray, HDMI, and of course the game playing.
I believe many of you are on the fence and trying to justify a large scale purchase like this. The games are here and the experience is superb. If you want a wonderful living room centerpiece that will provide numerous hours of use the PS3 is the way to go.

I hope you got something extra with that. Otherwise it wasn't a deal and you simply paid list price for the 40 gig. If you got the Spiderman trillogy on Blu-Ray, that was also just a standard package priced at $400.

xortam

First Post
I'd go for the PS2 - still some games getting released, a huge back catalogue and in the US lots of Japanese anime games get released too. Lots of games that might appeal to girls like Harvest Moon, Catz etc and lots of pre owned games in shops and on Ebay.

PS2 definately - next gen still too expensive IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads