• (11) BECMI Creature Catalogue

Votes: 35 23.0%
  • (12) Pathfinder Bestiary

Votes: 71 46.7%
  • (13) Other

Votes: 88 57.9%

JEB

Legend
The 1E Fiend Folio was my first D&D book, and the AD&D 2E Monstrous Manual was the book that led me to start playing D&D (and roleplaying generally). So D&D monster books are pretty near and dear to my heart.

Of the ones listed, I have all of them, except the two cover variants of the 1E Monster Manual. I used to have the original, but I had to replace it with the premium reprint a while back (which ought to be listed, BTW, if we're including different covers).

For other editions:
Basic - I don't have the revised Creature Catalog, though I have it in PDF.
1E - Monster Manual II. Also Deities and Demigods, if it counts.
2E - All of the looseleaf Monstrous Compendium Appendices, and all of the paperback ones, except for the Ravenloft Appendix I/II rerelease (which I have as a PDF). I also have all four Annuals.
3E/3.5 - Monster Manual II-V, plus Monsters of Faerun. I was late buying IV and V, however. Also a number of third-party books.
4E - Monster Manual 2 and 3, plus Dark Sun Creature Catalog and Threats to the Nentir Vale. However, I only started buying 4E monster books after Next was announced (with the possible exception of the Monster Vault). In fact, being turned off by the 4E Monster Manual is what convinced me to give that edition a pass.
Pathfinder - Bestiary 2-4, plus the Inner Sea Bestiary. And a number of third-party books.

And I'm loving the 5E book so far, though I've had little chance to look yet.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Lots of 3pp books, especially for 3.x. Also, I sort of Shroedinger's Own the 5e MM: it's pre-ordered, but I don't actually have it in my possession yet. Therefore I simultaneously own it, and do not own it.

-The Gneech :cool:

The 13th Age Bestiary is all kinds of wonderful; definitely in my top 3 RPG books ever. I think I have disposed, one way or another, of most of the rest of the previous versions of the monster manual. Not enough room to store stuff I don't use.

Dice4Hire

First Post
One thing I loved about 3E or 3.5 was the plethora of 3PP monster books. Lots of dreck to be sure, but good to keep players on their toes, ones who memorized the "official" MMs.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - for the two 1e Monster Manuals did you intend to ask if we own the original MM (for which you show both covers, it's the same book inside) and the Monster Manual II (which you do not show), or just both cover versions of the original MM?

Lan-"we long ago discovered that Monster Manuals, if left on their own for a while, can self-replicate"-efan

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I also quite enjoyed DMR2 Creature Catalog (which, to the best of my knowledge, is not the same as AC9 Creature Catalogue).

dd-dmr2.jpg

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Oops, I should not have voted for (2), I thought it meant the AD&D MM II but I see from the picture that it meant the second cover of the 1e MM and that no sequels are included.

In print I've got the 1e MM, 1e FF, for 2e the Monstrous Manual, for 3e the MM and FF, for 4e I've got the MM and MV, and for Pathfinder I have the Bestiary. I have the Creature Catalog PDF for basic and I do not own the 5e MM.

I also own a ton of other monster books (sequel ones, MC appendices, 3rd party) in print and PDF.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm a monster enthusiast, so I've got every book for every version that I am aware of. I used to have this as my desktop back in my 3E days...

MonsterEvolution.jpg

My favorite, though is the 2E hardbound Monstrous Manual. During the days of the MC's, I made photocopies of all the 3-ring binder monsters (including those in Dragon mag, modules, boxed sets and whatnot - gotta love having unlimited access to a work copier during the night shift). I still have them, they fill up five 2" binders with an additional binder that contains a monster index.

Remove ads