• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Necromancer Games Adventures Worth Getting/Avoiding?

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Great stuff! Thanks for the repsonses, and keep it coming :)

The main reasons I am asking are twofold.

Firstly, I have a raft of adventures, which include all of those released by Wizards, Paizo and the DCCs (these are mostly pdf, however), as well a bunch by Malhavoc and, of course, virtually all the dungeon mags that were released for 3.0 and 3.5. But, I'm short on Necromancer adventures and would like to pick up some more (hardback or pdf is good for me).

Secondly, I am currently running a 3.5 game with a grand story arc - three evil gods are currently fighting it out to be crowned as the Lord of Herophet (basically, Hell), with the PCs figting to save their world. I've run Red Hand of Doom and am currently running Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. They're currently 12th level and I'm planning the final part of the adventure now, so kinda know where it's all going. Hopefully!

So although the campaign isn't likely to end anytime soon, I'm nonetheless beginning to think about the next campaign. This time, instead of a main theme, I'd like it be more low-key and allow the players to develop the themes of the game through their actions and choose the adventures they want to go on, with recurring villians growing out of their adventures.

That means I'd like to be offering the players several options at any given point, with perhaps one or two 'key' encounters or adventures that I'll place seeds for early, so that they will naturally occur later. What all that means is I'm looking for adventures to either get ideas from, modify or just run as they are. I just want to have a handful at any given time to use as required.

I just like the idea of running a game driven by the players, rather than by me (as the DM) and just see how things turn out and weave the plots and stories accordingly.

So, I was just wondering what Necromancer had to offer. I'm certainly going to take a look at some of those mentioned here already and will start to pick them up over the forthcoming months.

Once again, thanks for all your input and keep it coming!

My favorites:

Rappan Athuk
Demons & Devils
Tomb of Abysthor
Caverns of Thracia

Other good ones:

Vault of Larin Karr
Lost City of Barakus
Coils of Set

Also worth looking at:

Wilderlands of High Fantasy (if you need a setting)
Necropolis (Gygax)

Treebore

First Post
Like JeffB and a couple of others have said, its easier to say what SUCKED!!

I did not like the Kuntz modules, and I honestly do not remembering hearing/seeing anyone who said they did. I only own them for completeness' sake.

I did not like Siege of Durhams Folley, but I have a serious problem with "clockwork" monsters to begine with, others have said they liked it though.

Make sure to get all of the newest ones done via Kenzer, especially Doom of Listonshire, they were definitely hitting a consistent stride of top notch stuff with these.

Be sure to get their Grimtooth, Eldritch Sorcery and Artifacts book while you are at it.

Melan

Explorer
I did not like the Kuntz modules, and I honestly do not remembering hearing/seeing anyone who said they did. I only own them for completeness' sake.
I really liked the second part's hostile mini-dimensions, and the dungeon in the first was good if you don't mind completely unrealistic things (I don't). The third part has some good ideas, but it would take an incredible memory to commit it to mind all the parallel things going on; part four is again good, but it was published by a different outfit.

Galloglaich

First Post
Necromancer makes quality stuff with one caveat-the modules are tough, so your PCs will have to be at the top of their game. Here are some of the ones you will want to check out:

The Fane of the Witch King-Great dungeon crawl with interesting villains.
Aberrations-Very cool premise to get the PCs involved. Then it becomes a bu g hunt (so to speak).
Demons and Devils-Nice, short adventures involving, ahem, demons and devils.
The Siege of Durgam's Folly-Fun adventure involving different constructs.
The Vault of Larin Karr-Quite possibly the best sandbox mini-campaign available for 3e D&D (needs a little work to be updated to 3.5).
The Grey Citadel-Excellent urban adventure.
The Bonegarden-Superb high-level adventure involving undead masses.

I hope this helps you decide. You really can't go wrong with any Necromancer modules (although the Zayene series is generally considered the weakest of the lot)...

Some of these sound really interesting, I've been looking at some reviews.

What exactly is a "sandbox mini-campaign", out of curiosity?

Does necormancer do the dunegon crawl classics? Are those good?

I'm interested in good, tightly put together, plausible modules for medium / low levels, like around 3-6. Nothing too sophomoric or kiddified. It's hard to know where to start or how to separate the wheat from the chaff... there are so many modules out there.

G.

Last edited:

Melan

Explorer
What exactly is a "sandbox mini-campaign", out of curiosity?
A small, self-contained campaign where the action is driven by player agendas interacting with an open world instead of plotlines set by the DM.

Does necormancer do the dunegon crawl classics? Are those good?
They are done by Goodman Games, and are more variable in quality than Necromancer's output - some of them are pretty good and creative; others have more impressive covers than contents.

S'mon

Legend
I did not like Siege of Durhams Folley, but I have a serious problem with "clockwork" monsters to begine with, others have said they liked it though.

I thought Durgams would be great, but in practice I didn't enjoy it all that much. Maybe converting the campaign from 3e to C&C at 8th level right before running it was a factor. I think the horror element didn't work too well with me, unfortunately Nec are heavy on the horror.

Vault of Larin Karr looks good, though I haven't run it. LK's stats are pathetic though, massively too weak for his CR. Like Barakus it's a sandbox that the PCs are free to explore, not a plotted/scripted adventure. If you want a tightly plotted adventure, avoid sandboxes!

Remove ads